Inductance and AC Source: Why current?

In summary: With inductor, you cannot suddenly change the current. If you try, for example by breaking the circuit, you will get this huge voltage spike across the inductor. You can instantaneously change the voltage to whatever you like and the current will gradually build up.
BrunoIdeas
Hello. I'm am studying topics related to inductances and Faraday's law and I'm having hard time at PICTURING situations. Mental representations.
So I propose an example of something I don't understand and we may go on from there.

Consider circuit consisting of an inductance and an AC source.
In texts it is said that voltage across the inductance must be opposite to voltage from the source due to Kirchoff's Law.
Question:
1) If that is so, why is there any current at all?

Second point is understanding causally in time an inductor.
Suppose a steady current in an inductor, and suddenly we increase it an infinitesimal di ( or a finite value if you wish), Faraday's Law saws there will be an induced current to oppose the change, supose -di. But now current has changed again, and so on.
I don't understand even what I don't understand.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In texts it is said that voltage across the inductance must be opposite to voltage from the source due to Kirchoff's Law.
Question:

I know what you mean.

But then, in a simple resistance circuit, the voltage across the resistance is equal to the power supply, so one could ask the same question as to why is there any current at all. Maybe that helps you overcome the difficulty.

BrunoIdeas said:
Question:
Since there is no ohmic resistance in the circuit, an infinitesimal difference in voltages is capable of creating arbitrary large currents. The inductor produces the voltage which is just right for the given amount of current to flow.

BrunoIdeas said:
Suppose a steady current in an inductor, and suddenly we increase it an infinitesimal di ( or a finite value if you wish), Faraday's Law saws there will be an induced current to oppose the change, supose -di. But now current has changed again, and so on.
With inductor, you cannot suddenly change the current. If you try, for example by breaking the circuit, you will get this huge voltage spike across the inductor. You can instantaneously change the voltage to whatever you like and the current will gradually build up.

(with capacitors, the situation is opposite: you cannot instantaneously change the voltage of a capacitor. If you try you'll get arbitrary large currents. But you can control the current and the voltage will follow).

A good mental picture is to imagine electrons in the inductor having significant inertia. Mechanical analog of inductance is a flywheel.

Delta Kilo said:
S
With inductor, you cannot suddenly change the current. If you try, for example by breaking the circuit, you will get this huge voltage spike across the inductor. You can instantaneously change the voltage to whatever you like and the current will gradually build up.

A good mental picture is to imagine electrons in the inductor having significant inertia. Mechanical analog of inductance is a flywheel.

Hello! Two months later I re read your answer and at least I'm having a better feeling.
However, maybe it is a stupid question:
I can accept from Faraday's law that if flux changes from zero to some value in time t, by time t there will be a voltage induced.
But what is the physical reason that implies current will not change immediately too. A potential difference has been applied and if the loop has resistance R then V=IR, I see no transitory.

Thank you!

Hello there. It's great that you are studying topics related to inductances and Faraday's law. These concepts can be challenging to grasp, but with some practice and examples, you will surely get a better understanding of them.

To answer your first question, let's look at the basic principle behind inductance. Inductance is the property of a circuit element, such as an inductor, that opposes any change in current through it. This means that when there is a change in current, the inductor will generate a voltage in the opposite direction to try to keep the current constant. This is known as self-inductance.

Now, when we introduce an AC source to the circuit, the current is constantly changing direction. This means that the inductor will constantly be generating a voltage in the opposite direction to try to keep the current constant. However, this does not mean that there is no current at all. The AC source is constantly providing a changing voltage, which in turn causes a changing current to flow through the inductor. So, while the inductor is trying to oppose this change, there will still be a current flowing through it.

Moving on to your second point, let's consider the scenario of a steady current in an inductor and then suddenly changing it. As you correctly mentioned, according to Faraday's law, this change in current will induce a voltage in the opposite direction. This voltage will then cause a change in current again, and the process will continue as long as there is a change in current. This is known as mutual inductance.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of inductance and AC sources. Remember, the key is to keep practicing and asking questions when something is not clear. Best of luck with your studies!

Related to Inductance and AC Source: Why current?

What is inductance?

Inductance is a measure of the ability of a conductor to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is denoted by the symbol L and is measured in Henrys (H).

How does inductance affect an AC source?

Inductance has a significant impact on AC sources as it causes the current to lag behind the voltage. This is due to the fact that as the magnetic field in the inductor changes, it induces a voltage that opposes the change, leading to a phase shift between the voltage and current.

Why does an AC source produce current?

An AC source produces current because of the alternating voltage it provides. As the voltage changes, it induces a current in the circuit. This current changes direction as the voltage changes, resulting in an alternating current.

What is the difference between inductance and capacitance?

Inductance and capacitance are both measures of a circuit's ability to store energy. The main difference between them is the type of energy stored. Inductance stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while capacitance stores energy in the form of an electric field.

How can inductance be changed in a circuit?

The value of inductance in a circuit can be changed by altering the physical properties of the inductor, such as its size, number of turns, or the material used. It can also be changed by varying the frequency of the AC source, as inductance is directly proportional to frequency.