Induced Surface Current in Conducting Plane, Dropped Charge

In summary, the homework statement asks for a solution to part a) of a problem involving a charge released a distance above a grounded infinite conducting plane. The solution for part a) is that the magnetic force on the charge is zero if the B field is parallel to the plane at the location of the charge. Azimuthal symmetry alone implies that even if B is nonzero on the axis of symmetry, it must point in a certain direction. This tells us that the force is zero. For part b), Ampere's Law applied to a rectangle passing through the plane implies that the field is parallel to the plane so the cross product gives 0. for b) Ampere's Law applied to a rectangle passing through the plane
Ichigo449

Homework Statement

a) A charge q is released a distance d above a grounded infinite conducting plane. It's non relativistic velocity is v. Find the induced surface current density on the plane.
b) Show that the above current density produces a vanishing magnetic force on the charge.

Homework Equations

Magnetic Boundary Conditions: B_above-B_below = K_f x n.
Magnetic Force on Charge: F=qvBsinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not at all sure what to do for part a) but for b) Ampere's Law applied to a rectangle passing through the plane implies that the field is parallel to the plane so the cross product gives 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ichigo449 said:
for b) Ampere's Law applied to a rectangle passing through the plane implies that the field is parallel to the plane so the cross product gives 0.
If the B field is parallel to the plane at the location of the charge, why would the cross product of v and B yield zero?

Right, they would be perpendicular so one of the magnitudes needs to zero.

Symmetry in the system should help in determining the magnitude of B along the line of fall of the charge.

Which symmetry are you referring to?

If the system is rotated about a certain axis, there is no change in the induced surface-current distribution. So, there can be no change in the B field pattern if the system is rotated about this axis. That should tell you something about B for points on the axis of symmetry.

So azimuthal symmetry about the line of fall of the charge would make sense. I'm just not seeing the connection between that and zero magnetic field on the line. Is it an Amperian loop?

Question (b) only asks you to show that the magnetic force on the charge is zero. Azimuthal symmetry alone implies that even if B is nonzero on the axis of symmetry, it must point in a certain direction. From this direction you should be able to conclude that the force is zero.

If you want to show that B is actually zero on the axis of symmetry, you can use the Biot-Savart law along with the symmetric distribution of the current density.

Oh, thank you. I understand where I was going wrong now. The magnetic field will have to point along the line of fall so the force vanishes.

Ichigo449 said:
Oh, thank you. I understand where I was going wrong now. The magnetic field will have to point along the line of fall so the force vanishes.
Yes, that's right.

You could also use the fact if there were a magnetic force, it would necessarily be perpendicular to the velocity (i.e., perpendicular to the symmetry axis). But this force sticking out in some direction would violate the rotational symmetry.

So that's part b), could I get a hint how to begin part a)? The only idea I have is to somehow use magnetic boundary conditions.

Can you see a way to get the surface charge density σ on the conducting plane?

If the charge wasn't moving, yes.
The logic would be that from Gauss' Law the electric field at the surface of the plane is σ/ε, which is equal to the normal derivative of the electric potential evaluated at the surface of the plane. So from the method of images the potential is the same as that due to two oppositely charged point charges.
So I suppose my real difficulty with the question is that I'm not sure how the electric potential changes when the charge is accelerating.

σ at a point of the plane will depend on the distance d of the point charge from the plane. Therefore dσ/dt will depend on the velocity v of the point charge. You should be able to relate dσ/dt to the current density K.

Related to Induced Surface Current in Conducting Plane, Dropped Charge

1. What is an induced surface current in a conducting plane?

An induced surface current in a conducting plane occurs when a charge is dropped onto the plane. This results in a circulating flow of electrons on the surface of the plane, known as a surface current.

2. How is a surface current induced in a conducting plane?

A surface current is induced in a conducting plane when a charged object is brought close to or dropped onto the plane. The electric field from the charged object causes a redistribution of charges on the surface of the plane, resulting in a surface current.

3. What factors affect the strength of an induced surface current in a conducting plane?

The strength of an induced surface current in a conducting plane depends on the magnitude and direction of the electric field from the dropped charge, as well as the conductivity and geometry of the plane. A higher electric field and more conductive plane will result in a stronger surface current.

4. How does an induced surface current in a conducting plane behave?

An induced surface current in a conducting plane behaves in a circular pattern around the point where the charge was dropped. The direction of the current depends on the orientation of the plane and the direction of the electric field from the dropped charge.

5. What are the applications of induced surface current in conducting planes?

Induced surface current in conducting planes has various applications in fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and physics research. It is used in devices such as antennas, sensors, and transducers, and is also studied for its role in energy dissipation and heat transfer.