Induced Current and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding induced magnetic fields and current direction for a final exam. They have provided a document with 5 sample problems and their answers and thought processes for each. They are asking for confirmation on the correctness of their answers and the soundness of their process. The conversation also includes a discussion on the relationship between the original magnetic field and the induced current, and a request for help on specific problems.
d4v3

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
I'm studying for a final and have been having difficulty determining induced magnetic field and current direction. I have a document (link below) with 5 sample problems. I answered them all, and put my reasoning for the answers there in italics. Would someone be kind enough to tell me if my answers are correct, and whether or not the process by which I arrived at them is sound? I would greatly appreciate it.

Homework Equations

B=uI/2(pi)r
B=uIN/l
Flux=BAcos(theta)
Vind = N(delta flux)/(delta time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've put my answers and thought processes in italics on the following document:

http://db.tt/AjJeHK1

Physics news on Phys.org
1. If the B-field is into the page, the induced B-field would be the opposite to the original field. The induced field would be less than the original. knowing the direction of the B-field use the RHR to find the induced current.

2. looks right

3. The exact same as 2 just different orientation. 2 is right but 3 is not

4. brain fart sorry

5. brain fart sorry

I think maybe I was approaching this the wrong way.

So, on number 2, the current in the wire produces a B original. Then this B original produces a current in the loop. And that current in the loop then produces a B induced?

Before I was going B original to B induced to I induced. I don't know why I find this so confusing. But I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

d4v3 said:
I think maybe I was approaching this the wrong way.

So, on number 2, the current in the wire produces a B original. Then this B original produces a current in the loop. And that current in the loop then produces a B induced?

Before I was going B original to B induced to I induced. I don't know why I find this so confusing. But I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

it usually doesn't matter whether you find the B-field or the induced current. I always found it easier to find the current first, and knowing induced B-field always opposes the original magnetic field

I think I'm on the edge of understanding something here. :) Thanks for your help so far, Liquidxlax.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at the 4th and 5th ones (or all 5 if you have the time) on the document I linked and tell me how far off the mark I am on those? Greatly appreciated.

Related to Induced Current and Magnetic Fields

What is induced current?

Induced current refers to the flow of electric charge that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How is induced current created?

Induced current is created when a conductor, such as a wire, moves through a magnetic field or when there is a change in the magnetic field around the conductor.

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of an induced current will always be such that it opposes the change that produced it. In other words, the induced current will create a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of induced current and magnetic fields?

Induced current and magnetic fields have many practical applications, including generators, transformers, electric motors, and electromagnetic induction cooktops. They are also used in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines and in particle accelerators. Additionally, they are used in various industrial processes such as metal detection and electromagnetic forming.