Individual Protons Are Zero Mass Particles. Is Zero Mass Defined By This?

In summary, the zero mass of photons is not the defining factor for the concept of zero mass. It is simply a result of our current measurements and understanding. The equation E=MC^2 does not apply to photons because they are never at rest. In terms of energy, particles generally have more rest energy than kinetic energy, with the exception of cases where gamma is equal to or greater than 2.
Rorkster2
Individual Photons Are Zero Mass Particles. Is Zero Mass Defined By This?

Is zero mass as we know declaired because photons are theorisized to be true "weightless" and massless, or could it be a case that we do not have sensitive enough instrements and limited in our detection? Or on the other hand is their solid science backing up the theory?

Remember that E=MC^2, so that in theory in order to obtain any mass you need energy, even if it is individual 'energy bits' combined in a way beyond our understanding

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You typed proton in the title, though I am sure you meant photon. E=mc^2 is rest mass, but because photons are never at rest, that equation does not apply.

A photon is not a defining zero mass particle, it just happens to be one which has, to our best measurement, zero mass (An upper limit is Mass m < 10^-18 eV, which is ~10^-45) - http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/tables/rpp2009-sum-gauge-higgs-bosons.pdf

Yes, Thank you. Another classic example of my mind moving faster then I can type. So as far as scientists have established, do particles have more "motion energy" then neutral or negatives 'free' elementry particles? I'm leaning towrds no but I'm not certian.

You mean kinetic energy?

Actually, the rest energy is usually way higher than kinetic energy. The c^2 in mc^2 is a large number.

For SR, KE = (γ - 1)mc^2, where rest energy is mc^2. So unless gamma is equal to or greater than 2, the rest energy will be greater.

Related to Individual Protons Are Zero Mass Particles. Is Zero Mass Defined By This?

1. What is the definition of zero mass?

The definition of zero mass is the absence of mass, meaning an object has no physical weight or substance.

2. Are individual protons truly zero mass particles?

No, individual protons have a very small but nonzero mass. They are not considered zero mass particles.

3. Why are individual protons often referred to as zero mass particles?

Individual protons are often referred to as zero mass particles because their mass is so small that it is considered negligible in many scientific calculations and equations.

4. How is zero mass defined for particles like protons?

Zero mass is defined for particles like protons by their mass being equal to or very close to zero when compared to other particles. It is also defined by the fact that they do not have any rest mass, meaning they do not have any inherent mass when they are at rest.

5. What is the significance of individual protons having a small but nonzero mass?

The small but nonzero mass of individual protons is significant because it allows them to interact with other particles and create the structure of atoms. Without this mass, the universe and all matter would not exist as we know it.