Independence of Gauss's law and Ampere's law

In summary, the conversation discusses Maxwell's equations and their relationship to classical electrodynamics. The speaker is confused about how Gauss's law can be derived from Ampere's law and asks for clarification. The respondent explains that Maxwell's correction is needed to connect the two equations and that charge conservation is a crucial aspect. The conversation also touches on the importance of boundary conditions and the differential form of Maxwell's equations. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the intricacies of Maxwell's equations and their role in understanding electrodynamics.
loom91
Hi,

I'm just learning about Maxwell's equations in high-school and was playing around with them. Supposedly they are 4 independent and self-sufficient equations that when connected with the Lorentz force law will predict classical electrodynamics in its entirety. But then, it appears to me that Gauss's law can be derived from Ampere's law! How can this be possible?

Ampere's law with Maxwell's correction:-

[tex]
\int_{\partial S} \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dl} = \mu i_S + \mu \epsilon \frac{d\Phi_{E,S}}{dt}[/tex]

Now let us take the limit as S becomes a closed surface. In this limit, the line integral of B vanishes (a closed surface has no boundary), while on the right side we have the net current coming out of the closed surface plus the electric flux over the closed surface. Note the the net current coming out = - rate of change of charge enclosed by the surface. This gives us

[tex]\epsilon d\Phi_{E,S} = dQ_S[/tex]

Integrating, we get

[tex]\Phi_{E,S} = \frac {Q_S}{\epsilon}[/tex]

Which is Gauss's law for electricity.

How can this happen? Maxwell's equations are supposed to be independent! The only way out I can personally see is to take Gauss's law as simply the boundary condition that the net flux through a closed surface enclosing zero net charge is zero, a condition that is used to do the integral in the above derivation. But this boundary condition is nowhere near as strong as Gauss's law itself! What is the matter?

Thanks for your help. I will also appreciate it if you kept this discussion within the boundary conditions of my knowledge (for example, I don't understand the relativistic formulation of classical electrodynamics) :smile:

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
You used charge conservation to get the result.
So your conclusion arises not because of Ampère law alone, but because of Ampère law combined with charge conservation.

You could as well derive charge conservation from Ampère and Gauss.
This is precisely the purpose of Maxwell's correction.

Maxwell's great contribution was to show that it was necessary to add a term
[tex]\sim\partial_t{\vec D}[/tex] to the curl H equation.
He did this using the div D equation.
These two Maxwell equations are connected by this.
You have just worked Maxwell's introduction of the
[tex]\partial_t{\vec D}[/tex] term backwards.
Note you have written the integral versions of Maxwell's differential equations.

Last edited:
lalbatros said:
You used charge conservation to get the result.
So your conclusion arises not because of Ampère law alone, but because of Ampère law combined with charge conservation.

You could as well derive charge conservation from Ampère and Gauss.
This is precisely the purpose of Maxwell's correction.

Ah, I see now. A very subtle point, I would have never realized that on my own. I was actually replacing Gauss's law with the continuity equation. Conservation of charge is so deeply ingrained in my mentality that I never considered that it was actually a postulate itself. Thanks a lot for pointing this out, I feel I've a deeper understanding of electrodynamics after this small exercise.

But one minor point still remains. The continuity equation alone was not enough, I did have to add the boundary condition. Does this mean that the continuity equation is actually weaker than Gauss's law?

Molu

Meir Achuz said:
Maxwell's great contribution was to show that it was necessary to add a term
[tex]\sim\partial_t{\vec D}[/tex] to the curl H equation.
He did this using the div D equation.
These two Maxwell equations are connected by this.
You have just worked Maxwell's introduction of the
[tex]\partial_t{\vec D}[/tex] term backwards.
Note you have written the integral versions of Maxwell's differential equations.

Sorry, that went over my head. What does a partial sign used alone mean? That smells of relativistic notation :smile:

Molu

loom91 said:
What does a partial sign used alone mean?

[tex]\partial_t \vec{D}\equiv\frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t}[/tex]

cristo said:
[tex]\partial_t \vec{D}\equiv\frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Oh, I see.

Molu

"The continuity equation alone was not enough, I did have to add the boundary condition."

Go to the differential form of the equations and you will see no boundary conditions needed.

Related to Independence of Gauss's law and Ampere's law

What is the difference between Gauss's law and Ampere's law?

Gauss's law and Ampere's law are two fundamental laws in electromagnetism. Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. Ampere's law, on the other hand, states that the circulation of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through that loop multiplied by the permeability of free space.

Can Gauss's law and Ampere's law be used interchangeably?

No, Gauss's law and Ampere's law are two distinct laws and cannot be used interchangeably. They apply to different aspects of electromagnetism and have different mathematical formulations. However, in certain situations, Ampere's law can be used to derive Gauss's law and vice versa.

What is the significance of the independence of Gauss's law and Ampere's law?

The independence of Gauss's law and Ampere's law is significant because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of electromagnetism. It also allows for the development of more advanced theories, such as Maxwell's equations, which combine both laws to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a unified manner.

Under what conditions do Gauss's law and Ampere's law hold true?

Gauss's law and Ampere's law hold true under certain conditions. Gauss's law applies to static electric fields, while Ampere's law applies to steady currents. In cases where these conditions are not met, modifications to the laws, such as Maxwell's equations, are necessary.

What practical applications do Gauss's law and Ampere's law have?

Gauss's law and Ampere's law have numerous practical applications in engineering and technology. They are used to design and analyze electric circuits, motors, generators, and other devices. They are also crucial in the development of technologies such as wireless power transfer and magnetic levitation systems.