Indefinite Integral using Trig Identity i'm confused

In summary, the mistake was in not taking into account the differentials when using a substitution, which resulted in incorrect integration. Additionally, by applying the trig identity, the integral can be properly evaluated.
Pindrought
Okay so I'm working on this problem

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 - x^2}} \, dx\)

I do a substitution and set
\(\displaystyle x={\sqrt{4}}sinu\)

I get to this step fine

\(\displaystyle \int 4sin(u)^2\)

I know that u = arcsin(x/2)

so I don't see why I can't just substitute in u into sin(u)?

I tried this and I got
\(\displaystyle \int 4 * arcsin(sin(x/2))^2\)

which worked out to
\(\displaystyle \int 4 * \frac{x^2}{4}\)

which gave me
\(\displaystyle \int x^2\)

which would just mean the answer is
\(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}\)

But looking at the mathhelpboards solver, this is wrong. Can anyone help me figure out what I am not understanding? Thanks a lot for taking the time to read.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: $2\sin^2 u = 1 - \cos 2u$.

Pindrought said:
Okay so I'm working on this problem

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 - x^2}} \, dx\)

I do a substitution and set
\(\displaystyle x={\sqrt{4}}sinu\)

I get to this step fine

\(\displaystyle \int 4sin(u)^2\)

I know that u = arcsin(x/2)

so I don't see why I can't just substitute in u into sin(u)?

I tried this and I got
\(\displaystyle \int 4 * arcsin(sin(x/2))^2\)

which worked out to
\(\displaystyle \int 4 * \frac{x^2}{4}\)

which gave me
\(\displaystyle \int x^2\)

which would just mean the answer is
\(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}\)

But looking at the mathhelpboards solver, this is wrong. Can anyone help me figure out what I am not understanding? Thanks a lot for taking the time to read.

The differentials you didn't include in the integrals give us an idea why your approach isn't correct.

What you start with is

\[\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\!\color{red}{\,dx}\]

We then make the trig substitution $x=2\sin u\implies \color{red}{\,dx} = 2\cos u \color{blue}{\,du}$

Therefore,

\[\begin{aligned} \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\!\color{red}{\,dx} \xrightarrow{x=2\sin u}{} &\phantom{=}\int\frac{4\sin^2u}{2\cos u}\cdot 2\cos u\color{blue}{\,du} \\ &= \int 4\sin^2u\color{blue}{\,du} \end{aligned}\]

If we proceed with how you wanted to do things, if $x=2\sin u \implies u = \arcsin(x/2)$, then

\[\int 4\sin^2u\,du = \int 4\sin^2(\arcsin(x/2))\,du = \int x^2\color{blue}{\,du}\]

We can't say this is $\dfrac{x^3}{3}+C$ because the variable we're integrating with respect to here is $u$, not $x$! If you want to get $\,dx$ instead of $\,du$ in the integral, you are undoing what you just did with your substitution.

Instead, from $\displaystyle \int 4\sin^2u\,du$, you want to apply the trig identity $\sin^2\theta = \dfrac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}$ to get
\[\int 4\sin^2u\,du = \int 2-2\cos(2u)\,du\]

Can you take things from here? (Smile)

Chris L T521 said:
The differentials you didn't include in the integrals give us an idea why your approach isn't correct.

What you start with is

\[\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\!\color{red}{\,dx}\]

We then make the trig substitution $x=2\sin u\implies \color{red}{\,dx} = 2\cos u \color{blue}{\,du}$

Therefore,

\[\begin{aligned} \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\!\color{red}{\,dx} \xrightarrow{x=2\sin u}{} &\phantom{=}\int\frac{4\sin^2u}{2\cos u}\cdot 2\cos u\color{blue}{\,du} \\ &= \int 4\sin^2u\color{blue}{\,du} \end{aligned}\]

If we proceed with how you wanted to do things, if $x=2\sin u \implies u = \arcsin(x/2)$, then

\[\int 4\sin^2u\,du = \int 4\sin^2(\arcsin(x/2))\,du = \int x^2\color{blue}{\,du}\]

We can't say this is $\dfrac{x^3}{3}+C$ because the variable we're integrating with respect to here is $u$, not $x$! If you want to get $\,dx$ instead of $\,du$ in the integral, you are undoing what you just did with your substitution.

Instead, from $\displaystyle \int 4\sin^2u\,du$, you want to apply the trig identity $\sin^2\theta = \dfrac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}$ to get
\[\int 4\sin^2u\,du = \int 2-2\cos(2u)\,du\]

Can you take things from here? (Smile)

Thanks a lot Chris L T521, you really helped me understand what I was doing wrong.

Related to Indefinite Integral using Trig Identity i'm confused

1. What is an indefinite integral using trig identity?

An indefinite integral using trig identity is a mathematical technique used to find the anti-derivative of a trigonometric function. It involves using specific trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and then applying integration rules to solve it.

2. How do I know when to use a trig identity in an indefinite integral?

You can use a trig identity when the integral involves a trigonometric function that can be simplified using one of the many trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, or half angle identities.

3. Can an indefinite integral using trig identity be solved without using a trig identity?

Yes, it is possible to solve an indefinite integral without using a trig identity. However, using a trig identity can often make the integration process easier and more efficient.

4. Are there any specific steps to follow when solving an indefinite integral using trig identity?

Yes, there are certain steps to follow when solving an indefinite integral using trig identity. These include identifying the appropriate trig identity to use, applying it to simplify the integral, and then using integration rules to solve the simplified integral.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer to solve an indefinite integral using trig identity?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer to solve an indefinite integral using trig identity. However, it is important to understand the concept and steps involved in solving the integral, rather than solely relying on technology.