Indefinite Integral of a contant function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of indefinite and definite integrals and how the constant in an indefinite integral can be any value, while in a definite integral it cancels out in the end. It also clarifies the difference between F(x) + C and f(x), where F(x) is the antiderivative and f(x) is the function being integrated.
rambo5330
This question is bugging me

if an indefinite integral is of the form F(x) + C
stating that F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x) and since the derivative of a constant is 0 the collection of all of the anti derivatives are of the F(x) + C accounting for the fact any constant can be tagged to the end of that anti derivative..
now if this were an initial value problem you can take F(0) = 10 and solve for C correct...

well why with a constant function say f(x) = 1 when I solve for indefinite integral of the form F(x) + C ... I get x + C
well if f(x) is a constant function then wouldn't f(0) = 1 f(5) = 1
but in each of these cases i get C + 5 = 1 therefore c = -4 or C + 0 = 1 therefor C = 1

but if this if F(x) + C is a general expression that allows you to find the area under a graph up to point x ... then
find the area under a function which is constant f(x) = 1 on interval [0,9]
should = 9

but x + 1 = 9 + 1 = 10 so its obvious to see that C should equal zero

where am I going wrong can someone please clear this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be getting confused as to what F(x) + C and f(x) are. f(x) is the function you're integrating, so yes C can be any constant in the end. It can even be 24937203. It doesn't matter. If you're trying to find the area of the function f(x) = 1 from 0 to 9 then you are no longer solving an INDEFINITE integral, now you need to set limits on your integrate and solve the DEFINITE integral.

For this case I'll just show you the result:

[itex] \int_{0}^{9}1dx = x + C|_{0}^{9} = (9 + C) - (0 + C) = 9 + C - C [/itex]

So you see the C's will cancel out in the end, it doesn't matter what they are because when solving the definite integral that constant will ALWAYS end up cancelling out.

Related to Indefinite Integral of a contant function

What is an indefinite integral of a constant function?

An indefinite integral of a constant function is a mathematical operation that finds the most general antiderivative of a function. In simple terms, it is the reverse process of finding a derivative.

How do you solve an indefinite integral of a constant function?

To solve an indefinite integral of a constant function, you can simply add a constant term (C) to the antiderivative. This is because the derivative of a constant is 0, so any constant term added will not affect the derivative.

What is the result of the indefinite integral of a constant function?

The result of the indefinite integral of a constant function is a family of functions, with the same derivative. This is because adding a constant term to the antiderivative will result in a different function, but with the same derivative.

Why is the indefinite integral of a constant function important?

The indefinite integral of a constant function is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the area under a curve, displacement, and other important quantities in physics and engineering.

Can all functions have an indefinite integral?

No, not all functions have an indefinite integral. Some functions, such as discontinuous or non-differentiable functions, do not have an antiderivative. In these cases, we can only find the definite integral using numerical methods.