Indefinite Integral - By parts works right?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for integrating the expression x+2/(x²+x+1). The attempted solution provided by the questioner involves breaking up the numerator and completing the square in the denominator. Another user suggests using a different method, breaking up the expression into two parts and then integrating each part separately. The conversation ends with the questioner expressing surprise at the method suggested and agreeing to give it a try.
RoganSarine
Nevermind, it's late and I realized why it doesn't work because I forgot to take into consideration that the denominator is (1/polynomial)

Anyone care to explain to me how to do it the proper way?

1. Question 1

[tex]\int[/tex] (x+2)/(x²+x+1) dx

The only reason I ask is because my teacher showed us another way which basically involves breaking the numerator up, and completing the square in the bottom... which I really don't care to learn. The answer DOES look nicer, but I just want to make sure my way is correct also.

The Attempt at a Solution

uv - [tex]\int[/tex]vdu

u = x+2
du = 1

dv = x²+x+1
v = (1/3)x^3 + (1/2)x^2 + x

(x+2)[(1/3)x^3 + (1/2)x^2 + x] - [tex]\int[/tex] [ (1/3)x^3 + (1/2)x^2 + x ] (1)

(x+2)[(1/3)x^3 + (1/2)x^2 + x] - [(1/4)x^4 -(1/6)x^3 + (1/2)x^2] + C

As I said... Not really pretty by any means, but isn't that technically also correct?[/s]

Physics news on Phys.org
RoganSarine said:
Anyone care to explain to me how to do it the proper way?

Hi RoganSarine! :smile:

(x+2)/(x²+x+1)

= (x+2)/((x + 1/2)² + 3/4)

= (x + 1/2)/((x + 1/2)² + 3/4) + (3/2)/((x + 1/2)² + 3/4) …

now integrate (you'll need a different method for each part :wink:)

I can see where to get most of that equation but that last part:

(x+2)/(x²+x+1)

(x+1/2+3/2)/(x²+1/2+1/4-1/4)+1)
(x+1/2+3/2)/((x+1/2)²+1-1/4)
(x+1/2+3/2)/((x+1/2)²+3/4)

But...Oh nevermind.

Wow, ha ha... I've never had to break up an equation like that before (like, breaking up the numerator also, seriously?). I'll give it a shot.

Related to Indefinite Integral - By parts works right?

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the original function when its derivative is known.

How does the "by parts" method work in solving indefinite integrals?

The "by parts" method is a technique used to solve indefinite integrals of the product of two functions. It involves splitting the integral into two parts and applying the product rule of differentiation in reverse to find the antiderivative.

What are the steps involved in solving indefinite integrals using the "by parts" method?

The steps involved in solving indefinite integrals using the "by parts" method are:

1. Identify the two functions in the integral and label them as u and v.
  2. Apply the product rule of differentiation to find the derivative of uv.
  3. Integrate the derivative of uv with respect to x to find the original function.
  4. Substitute the values of u and v back into the original function to get the final answer.

How do I know when to use the "by parts" method in solving indefinite integrals?

The "by parts" method is most commonly used when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which is difficult to integrate. In such cases, applying the product rule in reverse can simplify the integration process.

Are there any limitations to the "by parts" method in solving indefinite integrals?

Yes, there are certain limitations to the "by parts" method. It may not work if the integral involves trigonometric functions or if the functions in the integral do not have an antiderivative. In such cases, other integration techniques may need to be used.