Increasing the number of workers reduces the number of days

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Increasing
In summary, 15 workers can pave 18 driveways in 24 days, but it would take 40 workers to pave 22 driveways in the same amount of time.
zak100

Homework Statement

If 15 workers can pave 18 driveways in 24 days, how many days would it take 40 workers to pave 22 driveways?

Homework Equations

Set of worker * driveways* days/Another set of workers * driveways

The Attempt at a Solution

15 * 18 *24/40 * 22 =54/11 wrong

Some body please guide. I don't know the method for solving such problems. I don't know the usage of two set of data.
Zulfi.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The "trick" is that the number of driveways per day per worker is a constant:

(#driveways)/[(#workers)*(#days)] = constant

So set up an equation comparing that expression (on the left) for the first set of data (15 workers, etc.) to one for the second set of data (40 workers, etc.). The only unknown will be the #days in the second set. Solve!

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

If 15 workers can pave 18 driveways in 24 days, how many days would it take 40 workers to pave 22 driveways?

Homework Equations

Set of worker * driveways* days/Another set of workers * driveways

The Attempt at a Solution

15 * 18 *24/40 * 22 =54/11 wrong

Some body please guide. I don't know the method for solving such problems. I don't know the usage of two set of data.
Zulfi.[/B]

Do not just write down numbers without thinking. You need to approach such problems systematically.

For example, how long would it take 1 worker to pave 18 driveways? From that, how long would it take 1 worker to pave 1 driveway? Now continue from that.

Hi,
Did you mean:
15/(18 * 24) = 40/(20 * Days)

Still the answer is not correct.
I know that: if we increase the labors less days would be required to construct a drive way. So from 15 workers to 40 workers 2 days reqd for a driveway.
15*24/40 = 9 days required for a drive way.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
15/(18 * 24) = 40/(20 * Days)
The left hand side makes sense. How did you get the right hand side?

Both sides must have this form:
Doc Al said:
(#driveways)/[(#workers)*(#days)]

Hi,
Thanks. I got the answer.
First part (LHS): # of driveways = 18
#of workers = 15
# of days =24
Second part(RHS):
#of drive ways = 22
#of days = ?
#of workers=40
(#driveways)/[(#workers)*(#days)] of First part= (#driveways)/[(#workers)*(#days)] of Second part
Putting values:
18/(15 * 24) = 22/(40* days)
days = 11

Thanks.

Zulfi.

Related to Increasing the number of workers reduces the number of days

What does it mean to "increase the number of workers"?

Increasing the number of workers refers to hiring more individuals to work in a specific job or task.

How does increasing the number of workers impact the number of days?

Increasing the number of workers can potentially reduce the number of days needed to complete a task. This is because with more workers, the workload can be divided among them, resulting in faster completion.

What are the reasons for increasing the number of workers?

There are various reasons for increasing the number of workers, such as meeting a tight deadline, handling a large workload, or improving efficiency.

Are there any potential drawbacks to increasing the number of workers?

Yes, there can be potential drawbacks to increasing the number of workers. These include increased costs for salaries and training, difficulties in managing a larger team, and potential conflicts among team members.

How do other factors, such as skills and experience, play a role in the impact of increasing the number of workers?

Other factors can also play a role in the impact of increasing the number of workers. For example, highly skilled and experienced workers may be able to complete a task faster, even with a smaller team. Additionally, having the right mix of skills and experience within the team can also affect the overall efficiency and success of increasing the number of workers.