Increasing pressure does what to temperature?

In summary, at equilibrium at temperature T1 and pressure P1, a certain substance exists in two phases, α and β. α is a crystalline solid with a density of 0.531 g/cm^3 while β is an amorphous glass with a density of 0.510 g/cm^3. When the external pressure is increased, the temperature at which the α→β conversion takes place will also increase due to LeChatelier's principle. When the external pressure is increased isothermally, the system will favor the phase with a lower density, resulting in the dominance of either phase α or β, depending on the initial conditions. This behavior can be explained using the concept of density and LeChatelier's principle
ebunny91

Homework Statement

A certain substance exists in two phases at equilibrium at Temp T1 and pressure P1. One phase α is a crystalline solid (density 0.531 g/cm^3) while the other phase β is an amorphous glass (density 0.510 g/cm^3).

a) If the external pressure is increased, will the temp at which the α→β conversion takes place increase or decrease?

b) If the external pressure is increased isothermally, what will happen?

Homework Equations

density=mass/volume

dP/dT = ΔHvap/TΔV ??

The Attempt at a Solution

a) If the external pressure is increased, will the temp at which the α→β conversion takes place increase or decrease?

I know that the curve between the two phases is where the two phases exist at equilibrium and that it is dP/dT and that relates to density (which is 1/V).

I want to say that if you increase the pressure, the temp of the conversion will increase but I am assuming that the curve looks like that of a water phase diagram. How do I determine if it increases or decreases by using the density?

b) If the external pressure is increased isothermally, what will happen?

Increasing pressure isothermally means that the temperature stays constant. So we will end up with only one phase (I'm not sure which, the α or the β. I feel like this might also have something to do with the density.)

Physics news on Phys.org
IMHO For the first part LeChatelier's principle is enough. When pressure goes up, system tries to occupy lower density, so the higher density phase becomes favored. Now just try to apply this line of thinking to the question.

Related to Increasing pressure does what to temperature?

1. How does increasing pressure affect temperature?

As pressure increases, the temperature of a substance also increases. This is because the increase in pressure causes the molecules in the substance to move more quickly, resulting in an increase in temperature.

2. Is there a direct relationship between pressure and temperature?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between pressure and temperature. As pressure increases, temperature also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can increasing pressure cause a substance to change state?

Yes, increasing pressure can cause a substance to change from one state to another. For example, increasing pressure on a gas can cause it to condense into a liquid.

4. How does increasing pressure affect the boiling point of a substance?

Increasing pressure raises the boiling point of a substance. This is because the higher pressure makes it more difficult for the molecules to escape into the gas phase, requiring a higher temperature to reach the boiling point.

5. Is there a limit to how much increasing pressure can affect temperature?

Yes, there is a limit to how much increasing pressure can affect temperature. This is because at very high pressures, the molecules in a substance are so tightly packed together that they cannot move freely, and the temperature remains constant regardless of pressure.