Inclined plane with block and cylinder, pulley with mas

In summary, the problem asks for the acceleration of a system consisting of a rolling disk with radius R and mass m1, connected to a pulley with mass M and radius R, and a block m2 hanging from the pulley. The disk is rolling down an inclined plane with an angle theta and the system rotates with the disk. By isolating each mass and drawing free-body diagrams, the torque on the rolling disk can be expressed as (R)(T1) = Iα, where α is the angular acceleration. Additionally, the disk is rolling without slipping, meaning there is a relationship between its rotational and translational motion.
JesseJC

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the system if the mass m1 is a disk with radius R rolling down an incline which makes an angle theta with the horizontal, and the disk is connected to a pulley with mass M and radius R, which is connected to a block m2 hanging from that pulley. The system will be rotating with the disk, down the incline.

Homework Equations

Net Torque of pulley = R(T2-T1) = Iw

Net torque of m1 = R(m1gsintheta)

Net force in x = m1gsintheta - T1 = m1a

Net force in y = m1gcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved this exact problem for a block sliding instead of a disk using three equations: net torque on pulley = R(T1-T2), T1 = m1(gsintheta - a), and T2 = m2(a + g). So I just used substitution and isolated a.

But I don't know how a disk as opposed to a block would change this situation, help would be appreciated, I don't have any pictures unfortunately, but its a standard inclined plane problem with a real pulley and rolling disk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by isolating each mass and drawing a free-body diagram for each.
Recall how you used to handle the situation for a cylinder rolling down an incline by itself and how that is different from the case where a block is sliding down the incline.

I'm a tad bothered by the wording - you have to find the acceleration of the system, and the system is rotating with the disk... it is unclear, therefore, what "the system" means. I'm afraid we'll need a diagram to help you in any way specifically.

This is the picture.

slopediskpulley.JPG

Draw the free-body diagram for all objects, disk, pulley and block. Take care, the torque is equal to the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration. The disk rolls without slipping, that means a relation between its translational motion and rotation.

ehild said:
This is the picture.

View attachment 82223

Draw the free-body diagram for all objects, disk, pulley and block. Take care, the torque is equal to the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration. The disk rolls without slipping, that means a relation between its translational motion and rotation.
So the torque on the rolling disk will be (R)(T1) = Ia right ? I am having trouble relating this to the other given information

JesseJC said:
So the torque on the rolling disk will be (R)(T1) = Ia right ? I am having trouble relating this to the other given information
You mean torque=Iα? a is the linear acceleration.

As for "rolling without slipping" you might see http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/RotationalKinematics/RollingWithoutSlipping.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Inclined plane with block and cylinder, pulley with mas

1. How does an inclined plane with a block and cylinder work?

An inclined plane with a block and cylinder is a simple machine that consists of a ramp or sloping surface and a block or cylinder placed on it. When a force is applied to the block or cylinder, it moves up the inclined plane, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. This is due to the longer distance over which the force is applied, making it easier to overcome the force of gravity.

2. What is the purpose of using a pulley with mass in this setup?

A pulley with mass is used in this setup to further reduce the amount of force needed to lift the object. By using a pulley, the force is distributed over multiple strands of rope or cable, making it easier to lift the object. Additionally, a pulley can change the direction of the force, allowing for lifting objects vertically instead of horizontally.

3. How is the mechanical advantage of this setup calculated?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane with a block and cylinder, pulley with mass can be calculated by dividing the length of the inclined plane by the height of the plane. For example, if the inclined plane is 4 meters long and 2 meters high, the mechanical advantage would be 4/2 = 2. This means that the force needed to lift the object is reduced by a factor of 2.

4. Can this setup be used to lift heavy objects?

Yes, this setup can be used to lift heavy objects. The longer the inclined plane and the more pulleys used, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it will be to lift the object. However, it is important to consider the strength and stability of the materials used and to always follow proper safety precautions when lifting heavy objects.

5. What are the practical applications of an inclined plane with a block and cylinder, pulley with mass?

This setup has many practical applications, such as in construction, transportation, and everyday tasks. For example, ramps used to load heavy equipment onto trucks or pulley systems used to lift furniture or groceries to upper floors of a building. It can also be seen in complex machines, such as cranes and elevators, which use multiple pulleys and inclined planes to lift heavy loads with ease.