Inclined Plane Friction Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction for a mass sliding down an inclined plane. Different methods are proposed and calculations are shown, but there is some discrepancy in the results. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check the data or use a different method for solving the problem.
pulau_tiga
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out in this question:

A mass M is sliding down the inclined plane at a speed of 2.13 m/s. The mass stops a distance of 2.45 m away from the base of the inclinde, along a flat surface. The mass slides 1.24 m down the incline before reaching the horizontal surface. The inclide has an angle theta of 31.1 degrees above the horizontal. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

I said that
Mechanical energy@ topof the incline = Mechanical energy@bottom
KE(top) + PE(top) = KE(bottom) + PE(bottom)
0.5m(Vtop^2) + mgh = 1/2m(Vbottom^2) + 0 J
Solving for Vbottom = 4.14 m/s
**I said that h = sin(theta) x 1.24 m; h=0.641 m

Then by using Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad, and solving for accleration, given that Vf=0 m/s (when it comes to a stop), and Vo = 4.14 m/s(the velocity at the bottom of the incline), and d = 2.45 m
I got an acceleration of -3.50 m/s^2

then looking at a freebody diagram, I said that the sum of all forces in the x-direction is = ma.
I only have friction acting in the x direction?? Is there another force?
I said. -f=ma
-(mu)FN = ma where mu=coefficient of friction, FN = normal force
-(mu)mg= ma mg=FN, because, FN=Fg
masses cancel, and solving for mu...
mu = -0.357,
but, mu cannot be -?? and 0.357 is not the answer.

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
pulau_tiga said:
A mass M is sliding down the inclined plane at a speed of 2.13 m/s. The mass stops a distance of 2.45 m away from the base of the inclinde, along a flat surface. The mass slides 1.24 m down the incline before reaching the horizontal surface. The inclide has an angle theta of 31.1 degrees above the horizontal. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.
Is there friction on the incline? Is 2.13 m/s the initial speed of the mass at its starting point on the incline?

I said that
Mechanical energy@ topof the incline = Mechanical energy@bottom
KE(top) + PE(top) = KE(bottom) + PE(bottom)
0.5m(Vtop^2) + mgh = 1/2m(Vbottom^2) + 0 J
Solving for Vbottom = 4.14 m/s
**I said that h = sin(theta) x 1.24 m; h=0.641 m
You assume no friction on the incline. If so, your method is good, but check your arithmetic.

As far as [itex]\mu[/itex] being negative, I'm glad you realize that that makes no sense. The magnitude of the kinetic friction force = [itex]\mu N = \mu mg[/itex].

Hi Ho! ^_^

Assuming that there's no frictional force on the incline, you got the right answer.
You forgot to include the minus sign for the acceleration.
Thus, -f = ma
-(mu)mg = m(-3.50)
The sign cancels and you'll get mu = 0.357 (I found it to be 0.356).
If that's not the answer, then there's frictional force on the incline.

Next time, better you use isolated system method.
Like what I have learned from Fundamental of Physics 6th edition by Halliday/Resnick/Walker.
So you doesn't need to do kinematics to find the acceleration and drawing the free body diagram.
I'll show you how.

Let's take an isolated system consists of: ramp-surface-earth-mass.
Because there's no external force acts on it, Work by external force = (delta)Energy of the isolated system = 0.
Thus, W = (delta)K + (delta)Ugravitation + (delta)Ethermal
0 = 0.5*m*(0 - 2.13^2) + m*g*(0 - 1.24*sin(31.1)) + (muk)*m*g*2.45
(delta)Ethermal = fk*d = (muk)*m*g*d
Solving for muk yields 0.3559084970
Same result with less effort for sure.

Now I will solve for muk if there's frictional force on the incline.

Let's take an isolated system consists of: ramp-surface-earth-mass.
Because there's no external force acts on it, Work by external force = (delta)Energy of the isolated system = 0.
Thus, W = (delta)K + (delta)Ugravitation + (delta)Ethermal
0 = 0.5*m*(v^2 - 2.13^2) + m*g*(0 - 1.24*sin(31.1)) + (muk)*m*g*cos(31.1)*1.24 ...(1)
(delta)Ethermal = fk*d = (muk)*N*d -> For inclined surface, N = m*g*cos(theta). Where fk is kinetic frictional force.
0 = 0.5*m*(0 - v^2) + 0 + (muk)*m*g*2.45 ...(2)
Substituting (2) to (1) for v yields:
0 = 0.5*m*(2*(muk)*g*2.45 - 2.13^2) + m*g*(0 - 1.24*sin(31.1)) + (muk)*m*g*cos(31.1)*1.24
Solving for (muk) yields:
muk = 0.248

So, any comments for this? If 0.248 is not the answer either, I think the problem or its data is wrong.

Related to Inclined Plane Friction Question

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction.

2. How is the Work-Energy Theorem derived?

The Work-Energy Theorem is derived from the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law (F=ma) and the definition of work (W=F*d). By combining these equations, we can see that the work done on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the change in its velocity squared.

3. What is the equation for the Work-Energy Theorem?

The equation for the Work-Energy Theorem is W = ΔK = (1/2)mv2f - (1/2)mv2i, where W is work, ΔK is the change in kinetic energy, m is mass, v is velocity, and the subscripts f and i represent final and initial values respectively.

4. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and angular motion. As long as there is a change in an object's kinetic energy, the Work-Energy Theorem can be used to calculate the work done on the object.

5. How is the Work-Energy Theorem related to conservation of energy?

The Work-Energy Theorem is related to the conservation of energy because it shows that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that energy is neither created nor destroyed, but rather transferred between different forms, such as potential and kinetic energy.