In which case temperature increase is highest

In summary, the conversation discusses the mixing of a strong acid and base at 1 N concentration and the resulting temperature increase. Using the law of equivalents, the volumes of the acid and base are equalized, leaving options B and C as possible answers. However, to determine the correct answer, the equation q=mcΔT can be used, with q representing heat, m representing mass, and c representing specific heat capacity. From this equation, it can be inferred that a higher volume of acid and base (option B) will result in a higher temperature increase compared to an equal volume of acid and base (option C).
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In which case of mixing of a strong acid and a base each of 1 N concentration, temperature increase is highest.

A)20ml acid-30ml alkali
B)40ml acid-40ml alkali
C)25ml acid-25ml alkali
D)35ml acid-15ml alkali

Homework Equations

Law of Equivalents

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the law of equivalents I have
[itex]N_{1}V_{1}=N_{2}V_{2}[/itex]
Since both are 1 N
[itex]∴V_{1}=V_{2}[/itex]
So I am now left with options B and C but I don't have any clues how to differentiate between the two. Speaking in layman's term in option B the volume is more so temperature increase will be highest(Fortunately this is correct answer:wink:) but I need a scientific reasoning for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
B is not the only correct answer.

q=mcΔT, solve for ΔT, see if it helps.

Borek said:
B is not the only correct answer.

q=mcΔT, solve for ΔT, see if it helps.

I don't know q,m and c. How can I solve it?

Related to In which case temperature increase is highest

1. What is the main cause of temperature increase?

The main cause of temperature increase is the greenhouse effect, which is caused by the increase in atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide.

2. What are the most significant factors that contribute to temperature increase?

The most significant factors that contribute to temperature increase include human activities such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and agricultural practices, which release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

3. Is the increase in global temperature uniform across the planet?

No, the increase in global temperature is not uniform across the planet. Some regions experience higher temperature increases than others due to factors such as geographic location, land-use changes, and atmospheric circulation patterns.

4. How do scientists measure temperature increase?

Scientists measure temperature increase by using various techniques, including satellite observations, surface temperature measurements from weather stations, and analyses of ice cores and tree rings. These methods allow for a comprehensive understanding of temperature changes over time.

5. What are the potential consequences of continued increases in temperature?

The potential consequences of continued increases in temperature include more frequent and severe heatwaves, droughts, and extreme weather events, rising sea levels, loss of biodiversity, and disruptions to agriculture and human livelihoods. These effects can have far-reaching impacts on both human and natural systems.