In QED is angular momentum conserved at every order in Dyson series

In summary: But in summary, angular momentum conservation is a consequence of rotational invariance, which, itself, is a subset of Lorentz invariance. The Dyson series is term-by-term Lorentz invariant; so, any perturbative calculation based on it ought to conserve angular momentum explicitly. The proof is technically rather involved.
kof9595995
I did some perturbative calculation earlier, and it seemed I have to impose angular momentum conservation by hand, or else I couldn't get the desired result. We know angular momentum must be conserved finally, but is it conserved at every order in Dyson series?

Physics news on Phys.org
It ought to be. Angular momentum conservations is a consequence of rotational invariance, which, itself, is a subset of Lorentz invariance. The Dyson series is term-by-term Lorentz invariant; so, any perturbative calculation based on it ought to conserve angular momentum explicitly.

The proof is technically rather involved.

One has to find a representation of U (or V) in the interaction picture and one has to construct the Lorentz generators and especially L (angular momentum) as well. Depending on the choice of the gauge this will be rather lengthy.

Then it should be clear that [L,V] = 0 is formally OK, but in principle a regularization for the operator products is required.

Thanks for the replies, and let me take some time thinking about it. And tom, where can I find the proof?

kof9595995 said:
And tom, where can I find the proof?
I don't know. I've calculated similar operator algebras years ago but not for the Dyson series.

Sorry, you are obviously not talking about the usual scattering of plane waves, since the orbital angular momentum of a plane wave is not a single eigenvalue. Are you thinking of expanding everything in terms of vector and spinor spherical harmonics??

I am talking about

[tex]U(t,t_0) = \mathcal{T}\;\text{exp}\left[-i\int_{t_0}^t d\tau\,H_\text{int}(\tau)\right][/tex]

where U is the time volution operator, Hint is the interaction operator in the interaction picture and T is the time ordering

Tom, please be patient with me. I've been trying to understand what the complicating issue is here, why angular momentum conservation at the diagram level is not just an automatic consequence, and what would make it require detail proof. Take any Feynman diagram and rotate it. Each internal propagator is an invariant function. Each vertex is Hint, a scalar. Each external momentum goes p -> p' = Rp. Therefore the rotated diagram yields the same amplitude as the original. Doesn't this prove it?

Hint is not a scalar but a piece of the 0th component of a four-vector. I think what one has to do is to show that each term in the Dyson series reproduces the correct Lorentz algebra; this is not trivial b/c the series contains the time-ordered exponential, whereas the usual Lorentz operator algebra is always calculated at constant = fixed time.

Last edited:
Bill_K said:
Sorry, you are obviously not talking about the usual scattering of plane waves, since the orbital angular momentum of a plane wave is not a single eigenvalue. Are you thinking of expanding everything in terms of vector and spinor spherical harmonics??

Actually I was motivated by the problem of 1S-state positronium decay(peskin , problem 5.4), I want to show triplet state cannot decay into 2 photons. This certainly can be done non-perturbatively by considering charge conjugation symmetry, but I want to show this by perturbation. I am able to show it in extreme nonrelativistic limit, where electron 4-momentum is given by (m,0,0,0), in this limit the M matrix simply vanish. Later I tried to show it in not-so-extreme non-relativsitic limit(in the sense that electron spin is still well defined), where p=(m,p1,p2,p3). Now the best hope is that M matrix is an odd function of 3-momentum p, i.e. M(p)+M(-p)=0, so that after weighted by 1S wavefunction(in momentum space) the amplitude will be 0. In proving M(p)+M(-p)=0, there's just some term I can't kill unless I restrict the polariztion vectors of final state photons to some special directions by angular momentum conservation, but this is not what I expected unless angular momentum conservation is not ingrained in the perturbation series, hence the question.
I can show my calculation here if anyone is patient enough to look at it, it's quite tedious.

Related to In QED is angular momentum conserved at every order in Dyson series

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object or system. It is a vector quantity that is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant over time.

3. Why is angular momentum important in QED?

In QED, angular momentum is important because it is a conserved quantity. This means that it remains constant at every order in the Dyson series, which is a mathematical tool used to calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles in QED.

4. What is the Dyson series?

The Dyson series is a mathematical expansion used in QED to calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles. It involves summing an infinite number of terms, each of which corresponds to a different number of interactions between particles.

5. Is angular momentum conserved at every order in the Dyson series?

Yes, angular momentum is conserved at every order in the Dyson series in QED. This is because QED is a gauge theory, meaning that it is invariant under certain transformations, such as rotations. As a result, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle of QED at every level of calculation.