In Need Of An Inline Waterproof 2 Pin Connector

• Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin
In summary, an inline waterproof 2 pin connector is a specialized electrical connector that allows for the secure and waterproof connection of two wires. It is commonly used in outdoor or wet environments, such as in marine, automotive, or outdoor lighting applications. The connector consists of two male and female pins that fit together and lock securely, creating a waterproof seal to protect the wires from moisture and corrosion. This type of connector is essential for ensuring reliable and safe electrical connections in harsh or wet conditions.
2slowtogofast
I have a compression fitting that I am using to bring power into a pressurized vessel. On the side exposed to the enviornment there are 2 14 AWG 24" long leads. This vessel is going to be under water. So I need a way of creating a waterproof connection to each of the 24" leads so I can have a longer cable that I can run up and out of the water to a 24V DC power supply. Does anybody know of something that could possibly help me. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
See http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart for the "ingress protection" codes for connectors.

Presumably you need connectors rated as IPx7 or IPx8 (where the x digit specifies the protection against solid objects) depending on the water depth.

Yes I think I would need IP08. I have tried searching but have not found much. Is there a small inline connector that could meet these requirements.

Digikey has 1,329 dustproof and waterproof circular connectors which are in stock. Each item has a link to a data sheet with more info. I took a look at one that claimed the connector was tested at a depth of 10m for 2 weeks and 100m for 12 hours.

There are many other kinds of connectors if a circular one will not work for your device.

edit: I filtered the search for 2-pole plugs as well as waterproofing. There are many more possibilities for the circular connectors.

Last edited:
Is this a hobby or manufacturing application?

I'd take a look at Deutsch DT series

they work well on outboard motors even after a day underneath salt water.

http://www.laddinc.com/images/stories/catalog/Deutsch_Catalog.pdf#page=19

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you didn't find much searching for IP08 because if it's waterproof it's also dustproof. That would make it IP68. I googled "IP68 connectors" and there were many to choose from.

Also, you can get some dielectric grease from a hardware store with a good electrical section. If you squeeze some into any connector it will help keep the water out.

Okefenokee said:
Maybe you didn't find much searching for IP08 because if it's waterproof it's also dustproof. That would make it IP68.

There are IP58s as well, for connectors that are normally used dry but might get dropped in water - e.g. cellphones etc.

Related to In Need Of An Inline Waterproof 2 Pin Connector

1. What is an inline waterproof 2 pin connector?

An inline waterproof 2 pin connector is a type of electrical connector that is designed to connect two wires together in a waterproof manner. It typically consists of two pins that are inserted into a socket, which creates a secure and waterproof connection. These connectors are commonly used in outdoor and marine applications to protect electrical connections from water damage.

2. How do I know if I need an inline waterproof 2 pin connector?

If you are working with electrical connections in an outdoor or marine environment, it is important to use waterproof connectors to protect against water damage. If your wires will be exposed to rain, moisture, or other wet conditions, an inline waterproof 2 pin connector may be necessary to ensure a safe and reliable connection.

3. How do I choose the right inline waterproof 2 pin connector?

When choosing an inline waterproof 2 pin connector, you should consider the voltage and current ratings, as well as the size and type of wire you will be connecting. It is important to select a connector that is designed for the specific application and meets the necessary safety and performance standards.

4. Are there any special instructions for using an inline waterproof 2 pin connector?

Yes, it is important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions when using an inline waterproof 2 pin connector. This may include stripping the wires to the correct length, properly inserting the pins into the socket, and securing the connection with any additional components or tools recommended by the manufacturer.

5. Can I use an inline waterproof 2 pin connector for all types of wires?

No, it is important to use a connector that is compatible with the type and size of wires you are working with. Some connectors may only be suitable for certain wire gauges or types, such as stranded or solid wires. Always check the specifications and recommendations from the manufacturer to ensure a proper and safe connection.