In moving out of a dormitory at the end of the semester, a s

• Thread starter Alice7979
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, a student does 2.62 x 10^4 J of work in moving out of a dormitory at the end of the semester, causing a decrease in internal energy of 3.96 x 10^4 J. Using the equation ∆U = Q-W, we can solve for each quantity: (a) W = 2.62 x 10^4 J, (b) U = -3.96 x 10^4 J, and (c) Q = -3.96 x 10^4 J, indicating a negative change in internal energy. The algebraic sign refers to the positive or negative value of a quantity.
Alice7979

Homework Statement

In moving out of a dormitory at the end of the semester, a student does 2.62 x 10^4 J of work. In the process, his internal energy decreases by 3.96 x 104 J. Determine each of the following quantities (including the algebraic sign): (a)W, (b)
upper_delta.gif
U, and (c)Q.

Homework Equations

b) ∆U = Q-W

c) if the system does work its positive, if the system has work done on its negative

The Attempt at a Solution

I got (a) right, it is 2.62 x 10^4 J

b)
-3.96E4 - (2.62E4) = -65800

c)
-3.96E4 but I'm not sure about if it is negative or positive

And does the algebraic sign just mean + or -?

Attachments

• upper_delta.gif
    upper_delta.gif
    100 bytes · Views: 598
Physics news on Phys.org
Alice7979 said:
And does the algebraic sign just mean + or -?
Yes (as opposed to giving just the absolute value).
Alice7979 said:
In the process, his internal energy decreases by 3.96 x 104 J.
This is the number you give for part c.
So the change in internal energy is Q?

Related to In moving out of a dormitory at the end of the semester, a s

1. What is the best way to pack up my belongings when moving out of a dormitory?

The best way to pack up your belongings when moving out of a dormitory is to start early and make a plan. Begin by decluttering and getting rid of any items you no longer need. Then, pack similar items together and label your boxes for easy unpacking. Utilize suitcases and storage bins for bulky items. Don't forget to also clean and defrost your mini-fridge and microwave before packing them.

2. How can I transport my belongings safely when moving out of a dormitory?

To transport your belongings safely, use sturdy boxes or plastic bins and secure them with packing tape. Use bubble wrap or newspaper to wrap fragile items. If possible, use a dolly or cart to move heavier items. If you have a lot of belongings, consider renting a moving truck or hiring professional movers.

3. What should I do with unwanted items when moving out of a dormitory?

When moving out of a dormitory, donate or recycle any unwanted items that are still in good condition. Consider selling items you no longer need or giving them away to friends or family. If you have furniture or larger items, check with your school or local organizations to see if they have a donation program. Avoid throwing away usable items as it contributes to unnecessary waste.

4. How can I make sure I don't forget anything when moving out of a dormitory?

To avoid forgetting anything, create a checklist of all your belongings and refer to it while packing. Take note of items you use on a daily basis and make sure they are packed last. Double-check all drawers, shelves, and cabinets before leaving. You can also ask your roommate or friends to help you check if you've missed anything.

5. What should I do with my dorm room key when moving out?

When moving out of a dormitory, make sure to return your room key to the designated location. If you can't find the designated location, ask your Resident Assistant or dormitory staff for assistance. It's important to return your key to avoid any fees or charges. If you have a keycard, make sure to deactivate it before leaving.