In how many ways can a committee be formed....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Raerin
  • Start date
In summary, for a 4-member committee with a girl rep and a boy rep from grades 9, 10, 11, and 12, there are 70 possible combinations with no restrictions. With the restriction that David and Ryan cannot both be on the committee, there are 55 possible combinations. With the additional restriction that Leigh and Sarah will either be on or off the committee, there are 30 possible combinations. If both restrictions apply, there are 23 possible combinations.
Raerin
In how many ways can a 4-member committee be formed from a girl rep and a boy rep from each of grades 9, 10, 11, and 12?

a) There is no restriction?

I did 8C4 = 70, but apparently the correct answer is 28. I just want to confirm if my answer is right or not.

b) David and Ryan can not both be on the committee?
6C3 * 2C1 = 40 but, again, the apparent answer is 55.

c) Leigh and Sarah will either be on or off the committee?
I have no idea what to do for this restriction.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, Raerin!

In how many ways can a 4-member committee
be formed from a girl rep and a boy rep from
each of grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 if:

(a) There is no restriction?

I did 8C4 = 70, but apparently the correct answer is 28.
I just want to confirm if my answer is right or not.
You are right . . . "They" are wrong.

This is evident in their answer to part (b).
(b) David and Ryan can not both be on the committee?
6C3 * 2C1 = 40 but, again, the apparent answer is 55.

Your answer is incorrect; they are right.

There are: .[tex]_8C_4 \,=\,70[/tex] possible committees.

If David and Ryan are both on the committee,
we must choose the other 2 from the other 6 people.
. . there are: [tex]_6C_2 = 15[/tex] ways.

Therefore, there are: .[tex]70 - 15 \,=\,55[/tex] ways
. . in which David and Ryan are not serving together.

*snicker*

(a) They claim there are 28 possible committees.
(b) They say 55 of them do not have both David and Ryan.

I guess it's true:
. . Five out of four people have trouble with marh.
(c) Leigh and Sarah will either be on or off the committee?
I have no idea what to do for this restriction.

If Leigh and Sarah are both on the committee,
choose 2 more from the other 6 people.
. . [tex]_6C_2 \,=\,15[/tex] ways.

If neither Leigh and Sarah are on the committee,
choose all 4 from the other 6 people.
. . [tex]_6C_4 \,=\,15[/tex] ways.

Therefore, there are: .[tex]15 + 15 \,=\,30[/tex] ways.

Also, what if both (b and c) restrictions apply? Would it be 55+30? The answer says it's 23.

Raerin said:
Also, what if both (b and c) restrictions apply? Would it be 55+30? The answer says it's 23.

With more restrictions the number can only go down...

Possibilities are:
  1. David on, Ryan not, Leigh & Sarah on
  2. David not on, Ryan on, Leigh & Sarah on
  3. Neither David nor Ryan on, Leigh & Sarah on
  4. David on, Ryan not, Leigh & Sarah not on
  5. David not on, Ryan on, Leigh & Sarah not on
  6. Neither David nor Ryan on, Leigh & Sarah not on
How many combinations in each case?

a) Your answer of 70 is correct. The formula for choosing a committee of 4 members from a group of 8 (4 girls and 4 boys) is 8C4 = 8!/(4!4!) = 70.

b) Your answer of 40 is correct. The formula for choosing a committee of 3 members from a group of 6 (3 girls and 3 boys) is 6C3 = 6!/(3!3!) = 20. However, since David and Ryan cannot both be on the committee, we need to subtract the number of committees where they are both chosen. This can be calculated as 2C1 = 2. Therefore, the total number of committees is 6C3 * 2C1 = 40 - 2 = 38.

c) For this restriction, we need to consider two cases: Leigh and Sarah are both on the committee, or they are both off the committee.

Case 1: Leigh and Sarah are both on the committee. In this case, we need to choose 2 more members from the remaining 6 students (2 girls and 4 boys). This can be done in 6C2 = 6!/(2!4!) = 15 ways.

Case 2: Leigh and Sarah are both off the committee. In this case, we need to choose 4 members from the remaining 6 students (3 girls and 3 boys). This can be done in 6C4 = 6!/(4!2!) = 15 ways.

Therefore, the total number of committees is 15 + 15 = 30.

Related to In how many ways can a committee be formed....

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of ways a committee can be formed?

The formula for calculating the number of ways a committee can be formed is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of individuals and r represents the number of people needed for the committee.

2. Does the order in which the committee members are chosen matter?

It depends on the specific situation. If the committee has designated roles or positions, then the order may matter. However, if all members have equal standing and responsibilities, then the order does not matter.

3. Can a person be a member of more than one committee?

Yes, a person can be a member of more than one committee. The formula for calculating the number of ways a person can be on multiple committees is n! / (n-r)!r!, where n represents the total number of committees and r represents the number of committees a person can be a member of.

4. How does the number of committee members affect the total number of ways a committee can be formed?

The number of committee members directly affects the total number of ways a committee can be formed. The more members needed for the committee, the fewer ways it can be formed. This is because there are fewer individuals available to fill each position.

5. Can a committee be formed with an unlimited number of members?

In theory, a committee can be formed with an unlimited number of members. However, in practical situations, there are usually limits on the number of members for efficiency and effectiveness purposes.