Improper Integral of theta/cos^2 theta

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with an improper integral question involving theta and cosine squared. They attempt to solve it using trigonometric identities and integration by parts, but realize their answer is incorrect. The conversation also touches on the concept of improper integration and the properties of logarithmic functions.
leo255

Homework Statement

Improper Integral of theta/cos^2 theta

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all, this was one of the few questions on my final today that I just didn't know how to do. I know how to do trig sub, know all my trig identities and know improper integration, but was a bit at a loss for this one.

I could use a half angle for the denominator --> theta / 1/2 [1 + cos(2 theta)] -->

Maybe integrate, and get theta^2 / 1/2 theta + 1/2(sin 2 theta).

I'm sure what I tried was very wrong, but I wanted to make some kind of attempt.

Edit: nevermind, you can't integrate like that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leo255 said:

Homework Statement

Indefinite Integral of theta/cos^2 theta

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all, this was one of the few questions on my final today that I just didn't know how to do. I know how to do trig sub, know all my trig identities and know improper integration, but was a bit at a loss for this one.

I could use a half angle for the denominator --> theta / 1/2 [1 + cos(2 theta)] -->

Maybe integrate, and get theta^2 / 1/2 theta + 1/2(sin 2 theta).

I'm sure what I tried was very wrong, but I wanted to make some kind of attempt.

Edit: nevermind, you can't integrate like that.
$$\int \frac{\theta d\theta}{cos^2(\theta)} = \int \theta sec^2(\theta) d\theta$$

Use integration by parts with a judicious choice for u and dv.

Damn, that's a pretty easy integration by parts question actually. So, if I get an answer of tan(theta) - ln(sec(theta)), where would the improper integration come into play?

Oh wait, natural log functions must be greater than zero. So, it would be something like, the limit, as b approaches 0, from the right, of tan(theta) - ln(sec(theta))?

leo255 said:
Damn, that's a pretty easy integration by parts question actually. So, if I get an answer of tan(theta) - ln(sec(theta)), where would the improper integration come into play?
It's not a hard integration by parts, but the answer you show is incorrect. If you differentiate your answer, you don't get ##\theta sec^2(\theta)##.
leo255 said:
Oh wait, natural log functions must be greater than zero. So, it would be something like, the limit, as b approaches 0, from the right, of tan(theta) - ln(sec(theta))?
To be more precise, the argument of a log function must be greater than zero. The output of a log function can be any real number.

The integral you showed was an indefinite integral. An improper integral is a definite integral for which the integrand is undefined at one or more points inside the interval defined by the limits of integration, or at one or both endpoints.

Related to Improper Integral of theta/cos^2 theta

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is not defined at some point within the interval of integration.

How do you determine if an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta converges or diverges?

To determine if an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta converges or diverges, you can use the limit comparison test or the direct comparison test. If the limit of the integral approaches a finite number, then it converges. If the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity, then it diverges.

Can you use integration by parts to solve an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to solve an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta. This method involves choosing a part of the integrand to differentiate and another part to integrate. It can be useful for integrals involving trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between a Type I and a Type II improper integral?

A Type I improper integral has one or both limits of integration as infinite, while a Type II improper integral has a discontinuity in the integrand within the interval of integration. In the case of an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta, it would be classified as a Type II improper integral.

Is there a shortcut or trick to solving an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta?

There is no specific shortcut or trick to solving an improper integral of theta/cos^2 theta. However, it can be helpful to rewrite the integrand in terms of trigonometric identities or use substitution to simplify the integral before attempting to solve it.