Improper integral and L'Hôpital's rule

In summary, we can evaluate the given integral by factoring the denominator and applying partial fraction decomposition, and the final answer is ln|5|/4.
rayne1
integral from 2 to infinity dx/(x^2+2x-3)

I got this as the result:
lim x to infinity (1/4)(ln|x-1|-ln|x+1|+ln|5|)

Then I got (1/4)(infinity - infinity + ln|5|) so do I need to use l'hopital's rule for ln|x-1|-ln|x+1| or would the final answer be ln|5|/4? If not, I am unsure of how to l'hopital's rule for this kind of question.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_2^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2+2x-3}\,dx\)

As this is an improper integral, we should write:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_2^{t}\frac{1}{x^2+2x-3}\,dx\right)\)

Factoring the denominator of the integrand and applying partial fraction decomposition, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_2^{t}\frac{1}{x-1}-\frac{1}{x+3}\,dx\right)\)

Applying the FTOC, we get:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left[\ln\left|\frac{x-1}{x+3}\right|\right]_2^{t}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\ln\left|\frac{t-1}{t+3}\right|+\ln(5)\right)=\frac{1}{4}\left(\ln\left(\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\frac{t-1}{t+3}\right)\right)+\ln(5)\right)=\frac{\ln(5)}{4}\)

Your solution is correct, and there is no need to use L'Hôpital's rule here.

Related to Improper integral and L'Hôpital's rule

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the function being integrated is undefined at one or more points in the interval of integration.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you can use the method of limits. This involves taking the limit as the bounds of integration approach infinity or negative infinity. If the limit exists, then it is the value of the improper integral.

3. What is L'Hôpital's rule?

L'Hôpital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows you to evaluate the limit of a ratio of two functions when both functions approach zero or infinity. It states that if the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of the two functions exists, then it is equal to the limit of the original ratio.

4. When should L'Hôpital's rule be used?

L'Hôpital's rule should be used when evaluating limits of functions that result in indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is particularly useful when solving improper integrals as it can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using L'Hôpital's rule. It can only be used for functions that are differentiable in the given interval, and the limit must be in one of the indeterminate forms. It also cannot be used to evaluate limits of oscillating functions or limits involving exponential functions.