Importing material properties in ANSYS ACP

In summary: N2zPb&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITNo, cohesive behavior is not available for finite thicknesses in Ansys. You would have to use a different modeling software to model cohesive behavior.No, cohesive behavior is not available for finite thicknesses in Ansys.
muhammad ahmad
i am doing composite analysis in ansys acp. i am using nomex hneycomb as core sandwiched with 3k twill carbon fiber on each side. i am unable to understand properties that my manufacturer gave. these are lengthwise and widthwise but in ansys i have to enter properties in x y z direction. can anybody help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you trying to model the material properties for each of the layers, or the total composite structure as a unit? Typically modeling a complex composite structure (especially layered composite structures) requires orthotropic material properties for each layer and orientation information. If you want to just model the structure as a whole, you should be able to orient the model coordinate system in your ANSYS model to match the material properties provided by the vendor.

See here: http://www.ansys.stuba.sk/html/guide_55/g-str/GSTR11.htm

Mech_Engineer said:
Are you trying to model the material properties for each of the layers, or the total composite structure as a unit? Typically modeling a complex composite structure (especially layered composite structures) requires orthotropic material properties for each layer and orientation information. If you want to just model the structure as a whole, you should be able to orient the model coordinate system in your ANSYS model to match the material properties provided by the vendor.

See here: http://www.ansys.stuba.sk/html/guide_55/g-str/GSTR11.htm
i am trying to model properties of each layer. can you please guide me? also i am facing difficulty in importing properties of honeycomb nomex . this is the properties of honeycomb that my manufacturer gave

Attachments

• HC mech prop.jpg
    HC mech prop.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 691
Those are the compression strength and orthotropic shear modulus for the honeycomb but may not apply to your loading conditions. You're going to need more detailed information to create a model in Ansys. If not available, your other option is to get raw material properties for the Nomex and then physically model the honeycomb geometry.

Mech_Engineer said:
Those are the compression strength and orthotropic shear modulus for the honeycomb but may not apply to your loading conditions. You're going to need more detailed information to create a model in Ansys. If not available, your other option is to get raw material properties for the Nomex and then physically model the honeycomb geometry.
ok i will try to get more properties. can you please tell me how to use properties of resin and carbon fiber? i am also doing analysis in abaqus but i don't have properties of laminate. how can i use resin in abaqus?

Typically you would not model the resin separately from the carbon fibers. The structural strength of a layered carbon fiber structure comes from the carbon, so in many cases the resin is ignored. If the resin's properties are important (say for out-of-plane loading or loads orthogonal to the fiber direction) you will need to find the material properties of the resin combined with the fibers.

Mech_Engineer said:
Typically you would not model the resin separately from the carbon fibers. The structural strength of a layered carbon fiber structure comes from the carbon, so in many cases the resin is ignored. If the resin's properties are important (say for out-of-plane loading or loads orthogonal to the fiber direction) you will need to find the material properties of the resin combined with the fibers.
can i use cohesive behavior with finite thickness? like in this video.

https://wenku.baidu.com/view/a5e4a74d767f5acfa1c7cdf3.html

Related to Importing material properties in ANSYS ACP

1. How do I import material properties into ANSYS ACP?

To import material properties into ANSYS ACP, you can use the "Import Material Properties" function under the "Tools" menu. This will allow you to select a file containing the material properties and then import them into your ANSYS ACP project.

2. What file format should I use to import material properties into ANSYS ACP?

ANSYS ACP supports various file formats for importing material properties, including .csv, .txt, .xlsx, and .xml. You can choose the format that works best for your data and import it using the "Import Material Properties" function.

3. Can I import material properties for multiple materials at once in ANSYS ACP?

Yes, you can import material properties for multiple materials at once in ANSYS ACP. You can either have all the properties in one file or use multiple files for different materials. Make sure to select the correct material for each set of properties during the import process.

4. How do I know if the material properties have been successfully imported in ANSYS ACP?

After importing material properties in ANSYS ACP, you can check if they have been successfully imported by going to the "Materials" tab. Here, you can view a list of all the materials in your project and their corresponding properties. You can also validate the properties by running simulations and comparing the results with expected values.

5. Can I edit the imported material properties in ANSYS ACP?

Yes, you can edit the imported material properties in ANSYS ACP. Simply go to the "Materials" tab and select the material whose properties you want to edit. You can then make changes to the properties and save them. However, please note that editing material properties may affect the accuracy of your simulations, so proceed with caution.