Imponderables 2: Questions on Love, Language & Life

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter soroban
  • Start date
In summary: Greek word "phōnein," which means "to sound." The letter "f" is not present in this word because it did not exist in the Greek alphabet.In summary, life is full of imponderables and mysteries that often leave us with more questions than answers. These questions and statements have certainly sparked interesting discussions and have given us food for thought. Let's continue to ponder and explore the fascinating complexities of life.
soroban
Imponderables - 2If you try to fail and succeed,
what have you accomplished?What do Greeks say
when they don't understand something?When signmakers go on strike,
what is written on their signs?When they ship styrofoam,
what do they pack it in?What sadist put an "s" in "lisp"?People never say "It's only a game"
when they're winning.Why do we say "head over heels in love"?
Isn't that our normal position?If we "skate on thin ice",
we can "get into hot water".Why doesn't "phonetic" have an "f"?To err is human.
To arr is pirate.​

Science news on Phys.org

I am always curious and intrigued by the mysteries and imponderables of life. Your questions and statements have certainly caught my attention and I would like to share my thoughts and insights on them.

Firstly, if someone tries to fail and ends up succeeding, it can be seen as a paradox or an ironic twist of fate. On one hand, they may have accomplished their goal of failing, but on the other hand, they have also achieved success. It is a thought-provoking and puzzling situation that challenges our understanding of success and failure.

Moving on to the next question, I am not familiar with the exact phrase that Greeks use when they do not understand something. However, in general, people tend to use phrases like "I don't get it" or "I don't understand" when they are confused or perplexed.

Now, when signmakers go on strike, it is quite a unique situation. They may choose to leave their signs blank or simply write "On strike" or "Signmakers on strike" on their signs. It is a clever and creative way to convey their message without actually making any signs.

As for shipping styrofoam, it is often packed in cardboard boxes or plastic bags to protect it during transportation. Some companies also use biodegradable materials for packaging to reduce their environmental impact.

The origin of the word "lisp" is not entirely clear, but it is believed to have originated from an Old English word meaning "to lisp" or "to stammer." It is not known who exactly put the "s" in "lisp," but it is likely just a coincidence.

I agree that people often do not say "It's only a game" when they are winning. This could be because winning brings a sense of pride and accomplishment, and people do not want to downplay their success by dismissing it as "just a game."

The phrase "head over heels in love" is actually a shortened version of the original phrase "heels over head," which was used to describe tumbling or somersaulting. Over time, the phrase evolved and became associated with the feeling of being completely and deeply in love.

The saying "skate on thin ice" means to take a risk or be in a dangerous situation, while "get into hot water" means to get into trouble. These phrases highlight the potential consequences of taking risks and making impulsive decisions.

Lastly, the word "

Related to Imponderables 2: Questions on Love, Language & Life

1. What types of questions are explored in "Imponderables 2: Questions on Love, Language & Life"?

"Imponderables 2" explores questions related to various aspects of human life, including love, language, and everyday mysteries. These questions range from the scientific to the philosophical, and aim to stimulate curiosity and critical thinking.

2. How is "Imponderables 2" different from the first book in the series?

While the first "Imponderables" book focused primarily on science and technology, "Imponderables 2" delves deeper into the human experience and tackles more abstract and thought-provoking questions about love, language, and life.

3. Are the answers in "Imponderables 2" scientifically accurate?

Yes, the answers in "Imponderables 2" are based on scientific research and evidence. However, the author also encourages readers to think critically and form their own opinions on the questions presented.

4. Can "Imponderables 2" be enjoyed by non-scientific readers?

Absolutely! While the book does contain scientific information, it is presented in a reader-friendly and easily understandable manner. The questions and answers in "Imponderables 2" are meant to be thought-provoking and engaging for all types of readers.

5. Is "Imponderables 2" suitable for all ages?

While the content in "Imponderables 2" is appropriate for all ages, the book is geared towards older readers who can fully comprehend and appreciate the complex questions and answers presented. Younger readers may still find the book interesting, but may not fully grasp all of the concepts discussed.