Implicit Differentiation Question

In summary, the conversation was about using implicit differentiation to find the derivative of a function involving both x and y. The instructions were to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x, treating y as a differentiable function of x, and then collect the terms with dy/dx on one side of the equation and solve for dy/dx. The problem involved using the chain rule and product rule, and while the value of y depends on x, there is no known formula for this relationship. The goal was to find the derivative without knowing the formula for y as a function of x.
Tribo
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical math forums at OP request, so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

x2y + xy2 = 6

I know we use the chain rule from here, so wouldn't that be:

(d/dx)(x2y + xy2) = (d/dx)(6)

so using the chain rule of g'(x)f'(g(x) and the d/dx canceling out on the left side ...

2x + (d/dy)(4y2) = 0

Subtract 2x to the other side and cancel out the 4y2 and I got -x/2y2, which isn't right at all. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
...And I just saw in the rules I wasn't supposed to post this here. My bad, is there anyway to move it?

Tribo said:
x2y + xy2 = 6

I know we use the chain rule from here, so wouldn't that be:

(d/dx)(x2y + xy2) = (d/dx)(6)

so using the chain rule of g'(x)f'(g(x) and the d/dx canceling out on the left side ...

2x + (d/dy)(4y2) = 0

Subtract 2x to the other side and cancel out the 4y2 and I got -x/2y2, which isn't right at all. :/
First thing: I assume, that ##y## isn't dependent on ##x##. You should mention this. Next, what happens to a factor when you differentiate?

fresh_42 said:
First thing: I assume, that ##y## isn't dependent on ##x##.

It says, "use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx," so sure?

fresh_42 said:
Next, what happens to a factor when you differentiate?

It becomes a derivative of the original?

Tribo said:
It says, "use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx," so sure?
Where did it say this?
It becomes a derivative of the original?
Anyway, if ##y=y(x)## then you have to use the product rule and the chain rule.

Edit: I assume you meant the theorem of implicit functions.

fresh_42 said:
Where did it say this?

That's all the instructions said, although maybe the pages before had more information (I tired to read them but they didn't make any sense so I came here). To be frank I don't know why saying y isn't dependent on x is important or even quite what that means.

fresh_42 said:
Edit: I assume you meant the theorem of implicit functions.

The explanatory blue box doesn't mention theorems but it does say this:

Implicit Differentiation
1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x, treating y as a differentiable function of x.
2. Collect the terms with dy/dx on one side of the equation and solve for dy/dx.

So I guess it's saying y IS dependent on x? Or they have a relationship? Which means it's a function, if that means anything?

I don't know, this is really hard!

I'll try it again with the product rule...

Tribo said:
That's all the instructions said, although maybe the pages before had more information (I tired to read them but they didn't make any sense so I came here). To be frank I don't know why saying y isn't dependent on x is important or even quite what that means.
The explanatory blue box doesn't mention theorems but it does say this:

Implicit Differentiation
1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x, treating y as a differentiable function of x.
2. Collect the terms with dy/dx on one side of the equation and solve for dy/dx.

So I guess it's saying y IS dependent on x? Or they have a relationship? Which means it's a function, if that means anything?

I don't know, this is really hard!

You start with an equation involving both ##x## and ##y##, so for any given value of ##x## you can solve the equation to get one or more values of ##y##. In your case, when you give ##x## a value such as ##x = 1## or ##x = -7## (or whatever) you will get a quadratic equation in ##y## that has two roots that you can find by the elementary methods you studied years ago.

So, indeed: we are interested in the case where y depends on x---very much so! The only problem is that although y depends on x we do not have an actual formula that tells us exactly what that dependence is. That is, while we know that we will have ##y = g(x)## for some function ##g## (that is, the function ##g(x)## exists), we don't have a formula for ##g(x)##. The question is asking you how you would find the derivative ##dy/dx= dg(x)/dx## without actually knowing the formula for ##g## in the relationship ##y = g(x)##.

Ray Vickson said:
You start with an equation involving both ##x## and ##y##, so for any given value of ##x## you can solve the equation to get one or more values of ##y##.

Okay, just to make sure I'm understanding:

x + y = 6
y = 6 - x
So if x = 2, 4, 5, that would make y = 4, 2, 1, and so on.

Ray Vickson said:
In your case, when you give ##x## a value such as ##x = 1## or ##x = -7## (or whatever) you will get a quadratic equation in ##y## that has two roots that you can find by the elementary methods you studied years ago.

Hmm, okay. I don't really see it?

Tribo said:
x2y + xy2 = 6

Using the product rule I got:

(2xy + x2) + (y2 + 2y) = 0

The parentheses might be wrong, and I might've taken the derivative of 6 too soon, but I don't see where to go from here regardless. Surely it's not quadratic or going to be if there's no longer anything squared? Also... how do I chain 2xy?

Ray Vickson said:
So, indeed: we are interested in the case where y depends on x---very much so! The only problem is that although y depends on x we do not have an actual formula that tells us exactly what that dependence is. That is, while we know that we will have ##y = g(x)## for some function ##g## (that is, the function ##g(x)## exists), we don't have a formula for ##g(x)##. The question is asking you how you would find the derivative ##dy/dx= dg(x)/dx## without actually knowing the formula for ##g## in the relationship ##y = g(x)##.

What you're saying makes sense but I don't see it in the problem. :eek: We have y = a function but we don't know what the function looks like (it's formula).

On a side note, dy/dx = dg(x)/dx means
the derivative of y in respect to the derivative of x = the derivative of function g(x) in respect to the same derivative of x

...but what does that MEAN?

Tribo said:

Hmm, okay. I don't really see it?

Using the product rule I got:

(2xy + x2) + (y2 + 2y) = 0
That's incorrect.

Looking at the derivative of your first term:

The derivative (w.r.t. x) of x2y is:

(the derivative of x2 ) times ( y )
PLUS
(x2 ) times ( the derivative if y )

You have the first part right, but in the second part, you're missing the derivative of y .

Likes Tribo

Related to Implicit Differentiation Question

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written as y = f(x). Instead, the function is in the form of an equation where both x and y variables are present.

2. Why do we use implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for y in terms of x in an equation. By taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to x, we can still find the rate of change of the function with respect to x.

3. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you first take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to x. Then, you use the chain rule and product rule as needed to simplify the equation until you have solved for dy/dx, the derivative of y with respect to x.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used for all functions?

No, implicit differentiation can only be used for functions that are differentiable. This means that the function must be continuous and have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

5. What are some applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze changes in supply and demand.