Implications of Time-reversal asymmetric quantum physics

In summary: This is actually pretty definitive, I've had some conversations back when it wasn't clear that CP violation necessarily proved T reversal asymmetry, with some folks who thought I was nutty for saying it did and that it accounted for baryon asymmetry. I'm now hearing that once all the CKM and PMNS matrix mixing angles are figured out, we expect to see that it exactly accounts for the matter-antimatter asymmetry, and that the statistics have bent toward this determination as more BaBar results have come in- correct me if I'm wrong.That makes sense. Still, it's not any of the obvious low-order quantum theories.General Relativity does not know about the details of particle physics, its only
Schneibster
So what is the implication of time-reversal asymmetry in relativistic physics, now that we know that quantum mechanics is not time-reversal symmetric to 14 standard deviations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Schneibster said:
So what is the implication of time-reversal asymmetry in relativistic physics, now that we know that quantum mechanics is not time-reversal symmetric to 14 standard deviations?

GR is known to be in conflict with several aspects of quantum mechanics. Some successor theory (to one or both) is needed. The majority view is that GR is classical, successful, approximate theory with the same relation to some successor as Maxwell's equations are to QED.

PAllen said:
GR is known to be in conflict with several aspects of quantum mechanics.
This one makes two I know of, one old one added to one I just found out about; the old one is the infinite probabilities when attempting to accomplish the first quantization of gravity. Are there yet others?

This is actually pretty definitive, I've had some conversations back when it wasn't clear that CP violation necessarily proved T reversal asymmetry, with some folks who thought I was nutty for saying it did and that it accounted for baryon asymmetry. I'm now hearing that once all the CKM and PMNS matrix mixing angles are figured out, we expect to see that it exactly accounts for the matter-antimatter asymmetry, and that the statistics have bent toward this determination as more BaBar results have come in- correct me if I'm wrong.

PAllen said:
Some successor theory (to one or both) is needed. The majority view is that GR is classical, successful, approximate theory with the same relation to some successor as Maxwell's equations are to QED.
That makes sense. Still, it's not any of the obvious low-order quantum theories.

General Relativity does not know about the details of particle physics, its only contact with matter is via the stress energy tensor. If particle physics is not time reversal invariant, does that have something to say about Tμν? Does Tμν have to be complex or something?

The implications of time-reversal asymmetry in quantum physics are significant and have been a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. This discovery challenges our understanding of fundamental physical laws and has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.

One of the major implications is that the concept of causality, which states that cause must always precede effect, may no longer be valid in the quantum realm. This means that events could occur in reverse order, with the effect happening before the cause. This has profound implications for our understanding of time and the arrow of time.

Furthermore, the discovery of time-reversal asymmetry in quantum mechanics raises questions about the nature of the universe and its origins. It challenges the idea that the laws of physics are symmetrical and suggests that there may be a fundamental asymmetry in the fabric of the universe.

From a practical standpoint, this discovery also has implications for technology and computing. The ability to manipulate time-reversal asymmetry could potentially lead to the development of more powerful and efficient quantum computers.

Overall, the implications of time-reversal asymmetry in quantum physics are far-reaching and have the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the universe. Further research and experimentation in this area will be crucial in unraveling the mysteries of time and quantum mechanics.

Related to Implications of Time-reversal asymmetric quantum physics

1. What is time-reversal asymmetric quantum physics?

Time-reversal asymmetric quantum physics is a theory that suggests that the fundamental laws of physics, specifically those governing subatomic particles, are not symmetrical in time. This means that the behavior of these particles may differ depending on whether time is moving forwards or backwards.

2. How does this theory impact our understanding of the universe?

If this theory is proven to be true, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It may also have implications for our understanding of the origins of the universe and the concept of causality.

3. What evidence supports the existence of time-reversal asymmetric quantum physics?

There have been several experiments in the field of quantum physics that have shown deviations from time symmetry, such as the decay of certain subatomic particles and the behavior of atoms in a magnetic field. Additionally, theoretical models and calculations have also supported the existence of this theory.

4. What practical applications could arise from this theory?

If this theory is confirmed, it could have significant implications for technologies such as quantum computing and communication, as well as the development of new materials and energy sources. It could also lead to a better understanding of physical processes in the universe, which could have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

5. What are the current challenges in studying time-reversal asymmetric quantum physics?

One of the main challenges in studying this theory is the difficulty in conducting experiments at the subatomic level. It also requires highly advanced technology and precise measurements. Additionally, there is still much to be discovered and understood about the fundamental laws of quantum physics, making it a complex and ongoing area of research.