Implications of Covid becoming endemic

• Thread starter EPR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covid
In summary, the paper discusses how various factors (such as how much vaccine is available, how much immunity the population has, how severe the virus becomes, etc.) will affect when and how COVID-19 will transition from an epidemic to an endemic state. It is interesting to think about, and hopefully we will not have to experience this kind of thing in the future.
EPR
TL;DR Summary
The relevant implications of Covid becoming endemic
In this thread I'd like to explore the substantial impacts that SARS-2 becoming endemic will have on future life, economy, travel, the healthcare system and social life in general.
For starters, it seems high inflation will be the norm. Some economies will likely crash and most will become overburdened with debt. This can result in revolts and sometimes wars.

Do we have the long-term plan how to deal with what is potentially coming if the virus becomes endemic and continues to take a sizeable human toll, clog hospitals and force us to enforce lockdowns?

Biology news on Phys.org
You mean as does HIV, hep C, measles, malaria, flu, or others? Guess we come to the same protection methods.

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters and phinds
EPR said:
Do we have the long-term plan how to deal with what is potentially coming if the virus becomes endemic and continues to take a sizeable human toll, clog hospitals and force us to enforce lockdowns?
The plan is to vaccinate as much as possible. There is a chance (not guaranteed) that Covid will eventually become something like the flu, or perhaps even a cold. But to get there with as little serious illness and death as possible, one needs vaccination.

Here is one possibility mentioned by Christian Drosten:
After we had realized we will have the vaccine, it became clear what the vaccine can do: The vaccine helps society to make the step towards the endemic situation – learning to live with the virus after vaccinations have achieved a population-level of protection. We need to lower the deadliness so that the virus can spread subtly in the population. We want SARS2 to become a common cold – that’s the endemic situation.

Achieving that depends on us and on the vaccination rate. ... The window for the step towards endemicity narrows with waning vaccine effects. We could say, `OK let’s boost’, but actually, it’s not the aim to vaccinate again and again. I think the majority of infectious disease biologists and physicians currently says the endemicity is a common cold situation – but then we’re also in a situation where the `booster shot’ doesn’t happen here [via injection] but via recurring contacts with the virus, so that population immunity will become more and more resilient. This will generate longer-lasting, more robust mucosal immunity.

How I would like to become immune: I want to have a vaccine-induced immunity and on top of that, I want to have my first generic infection, and the second, and the third. Then I know I will have long-lasting immunity and I will only encounter the virus every few years like I encounter the other coronaviruses. I can take responsibility for that as a healthy adult–other groups can’t and I can only do that because I’ve been vaccinated twice. Population-wide, we can't do that [in Germany] at the moment.

But there are other, less pleasant possibiilties:
Will the pandemic fade into an ordinary disease like the flu? The world is watching Denmark for clues
Kai Kupferschmidt
https://www.science.org/content/art...nary-disease-flu-world-watching-denmark-clues

Another good discussion:
Many say Covid-19 will transition ‘from epidemic to endemic’. But what does this mean?
Murad Banaji
https://scroll.in/pulse/1007845/man...m-epidemic-to-endemic-but-what-does-this-mean

Likes pinball1970
atyy said:
Will the pandemic fade into an ordinary disease like the flu?
Not so ordinary.
Every year between 290,000 and 645,000 people worldwide die of respiratory diseases as a result of influenza infection, according to the latest estimate by an international research network led by the US health authority CDC.
https://www.pharmazeutische-zeitung...udie-zahl-der-grippetoten-hoeher-als-gedacht/

And about 400,000 die of malaria each year.
https://de.statista.com/statistik/d...aelle-aufgrund-von-malaria-nach-weltregionen/

I doubt that we have reliable data for Covid, yet. At least not worldwide. I assume that we will level down to similar figures as malaria or flu once we have vaccinated the world.

fresh_42 said:
I doubt that we have reliable data for Covid, yet. At least not worldwide. I assume that we will level down to similar figures as malaria or flu once we have vaccinated the world.
I think on a one round of full (double dose) vaccination it will still be worse than the flu. The UK after opening up is on track for 40,000 deaths a year, which is 3x as bad as an average flu year (and twice as bad as a bad year). Maybe they can bring it down with boosters. But it could be that in successive years, as immunity builds in the population with repeated infections in a well vaccinated and boosted population, that number will decrease over the years. But I think it will need at least 2 more years for the UK - this winter, and the next year's, and then maybe the one after that will be in the range of flu, and if we are lucky it will continue down towards the range of a common cold, but that's more in the range of 3-5 years.

Here's an interesting paper that studies how long it might take for Covid to become like the flu depending on various parameters:
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe6522
Immunological characteristics govern the transition of COVID-19 to endemicity
Jennie S. Lavine, Ottar N. Bjornstad and Rustom Antia

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, fresh_42 and phinds
Realizing the OP is no longer with us...
EPR said:
In this thread I'd like to explore the substantial impacts that SARS-2 becoming endemic will have on future life, economy, travel, the healthcare system and social life in general.
For starters, it seems high inflation will be the norm. Some economies will likely crash and most will become overburdened with debt. This can result in revolts and sometimes wars.

I mentioned this in another thread; I don't think anyone is really planning for/expecting the "endemic" phase to be heavily impactful on everyday life. I think the worst case people are expecting/speculating about is it being similar to the flu. Not to be too crass about it, but I think there has to come a point where we abandon the anti-vax to their fate. It's definitely not worth long-term societal harm to try to protect people who don't want it.

Likes Laroxe, pinball1970, nsaspook and 1 other person

Related to Implications of Covid becoming endemic

1. What does it mean for a virus to become endemic?

When a virus becomes endemic, it means that it is constantly present and circulating within a population, usually at a low level. This is different from a pandemic, where the virus spreads rapidly across the globe, and an epidemic, where the virus spreads rapidly within a specific region.

2. How will Covid becoming endemic affect public health measures?

If Covid becomes endemic, it is likely that public health measures such as mask wearing and social distancing will still be necessary, but at a lower intensity. This is because the virus will still be circulating, and there will still be a risk of outbreaks and severe illness.

3. Will we still need to get vaccinated against Covid if it becomes endemic?

It is possible that regular vaccinations against Covid will be necessary if it becomes endemic. This is because the virus can mutate over time, and new variants may emerge that require updated vaccines. However, the frequency of vaccinations may decrease as the virus becomes more stable.

4. How will Covid becoming endemic impact the economy?

If Covid becomes endemic, it is likely that there will still be some economic impact, but it may be less severe compared to the current situation. Businesses may still need to implement safety measures and may face periodic disruptions due to outbreaks, but the economy as a whole may be more stable.

5. What are the potential long-term consequences of Covid becoming endemic?

The long-term consequences of Covid becoming endemic are still uncertain and will depend on many factors. However, it is possible that the virus may continue to cause illness and death, and there may be ongoing economic and social impacts. It is also possible that the virus may eventually become less virulent and cause milder illness, similar to the flu.