I'm trying to explain some physics principles to a general audience

In summary, the principle that distinguishes between randomly arranged particles and those arranged to magnetize an iron bar is the alignment of electron dipole moments. This is known as coherence and is also responsible for phenomena such as laser light, superconductivity, and superfluidity. However, while these all share the common feature of aligned structure, there is not a single, simple term to describe it.
sci-guy
I'm trying to explain some physics principles to a general audience and have a few related questions:

1) What's the name of the principle that distinguishes between randomly arranged particles in an iron bar and those arranged so as to magnetize it? Is it 'coherence' or something else?

2) Is it the same principle (in a general sense, e.g. 'coherence') that produces phenomena like laser light, superconductivity, superfluidity, etc.? If not (or even if it is), are there other common examples of the same phenomena?

3) Is it correct to say that the particles/waves in these coherent systems "take on field properties"? If not, what's a better way to describe the macroscopic effects.

I'm not looking for long technical answers; brief general explanations will do (hopefully, that's possible for such phenomena).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

(1) A simple explanation is that the more completely the electron dipole moments are aligned in a material the more "magnetic" we consider a material. You could characteriize an electron dipole moment as the rough equivalent of the north and south pole of the Earth with it's external magnetic field: an electron also has north and south poles as a result of its "spin"...rotation. The electron cloud is the analogy of the earth...

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_material#Microscopic_origin_of_magnetism

and lots of related discussions via links. But be sure to make the point that ALL materials are magnetic to some degree since all contain electrons. Electrons are loosely bound in atoms unlike neutrons and protons in the nucleus.

(2)
superconductivity is a quantum mechanical phenomenon. It is also characterized by a phenomenon called the Meissner effect, the ejection of any sufficiently weak magnetic field from the interior of the superconductor as it transitions into the superconducting state.

superconductivity and superfluidity are closely related:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity#Theories_of_superconductivity

Sounds like you are aware of the BCS theory of superconductivity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity#Theories_of_superconductivity

When I briefy studied BCS, hightemp superconducivity wasn't even known...
More here, I'll leave it to others to tackle as I'm unsure just how well we we really understand superconductivity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginzburg-Landau_theory

Thanks -- guess I was looking for a single, simple term like "in phase" or exhibiting "coherence," but maybe there isn't one. Seems like all these phenomena (magnetism, laser light, superconductivity, etc.) share a common feature of aligned structure. Thought there was a single priniciple to explain it.

Related to I'm trying to explain some physics principles to a general audience

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in different locations.

2. How does an object fall to the ground?

Objects fall to the ground because of the force of gravity pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This force is greater for objects with more mass and is counteracted by air resistance, which is why objects with different sizes and shapes fall at different rates.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's speed is changing.

4. What is the relationship between force and motion?

Force is what causes an object to move or change its motion. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

5. How does energy play a role in physics?

Energy is a fundamental concept in physics and is defined as the ability to do work. In other words, energy is what allows objects to move or change their motion. There are various forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy, that play vital roles in understanding the behavior of objects in the physical world.