I'm terrible with power issues

In summary, the conversation discusses a power problem while creating an IBM 704 emulator. The team is using a Vortex86 pc104 compatible single board computer with multiple I/O modules connected by a pc104 ISA bus. The recommended power supply for the Vortex board is 5V @ 2.0A, but the team has a 5V @ 20A power supply available. They are unsure if this power supply would work without damaging the equipment. The conversation also mentions an option to power each board separately, but the team would prefer to use one of the previous options. The expert advises that as long as the sum of the specified load currents from each board is less than the maximum output current rating for the power supply's
jkCSE
Sorry for wordiness, the power problem is probably simple...

Im a CSE student working on a team trying to create an IBM 704 emulator. It's a big headache, but all that aside, one of our components is a Vortex86 pc104 compatible single board computer (http://www.icop.com.tw/products_detail.asp?ProductID=138)
with five 48-pin digital I/O modules connected by pc104 ISA bus.
(http://www.icop.com.tw/products_detail.asp?ProductID=46)
There will be 180 LEDs that are 3.3V @ 10mA and 60 switches and buttons that will be connected to the I/O modules.

Anyway they recommend a 5V @ 2.0A power supply for the Vortex board. The Vortex board draws 5V @ 1.1A and each I/O module draws 5V @ 600mA. The power flows through the Vortex board to the I/O modules. We were told there would be a problem with five I/O modules because of the lack of power problem (5 x 600mA + 1.1A). We do have a pc power supply with a 5V @ 2.0A wire we were going to use.

1. How much current can we send to the Vortex board? We have a 5V @ 20A that would supply enough current, but I'm guessing that would burn the board maybe, I don't know.

2. If just 2.0A power was connected but the LEDs weren't all on at the same time and I/O boards didn't draw current at the same time, would that work?

Another option was to power each board separately by not connecting the power pin on the ISA slots, but we would much rather do one of the previous two options. Basically, I'm completely lost with all the power problems... I just don't want to harm the equipment.

They didn't give us any electrical engineers in this team, but if I use any suggestions from this site I will list it as a resource. I will try to contact the individual responder first.

Thanks,
UTA Student

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use any current *RATING* of power supply
that EXCEEDS the sum of the current *RATING* of all
connected loads.

You sometimes have to check a power supply's MINIMUM
rated load necessary for it to function and regulate
smoothly and properly, but if it's a 5V only PSU
connected to that many boards, you'll have no problem
meeting the power supply's MINIMUM needed load.

So as long as the sum of the specified load currents from
each board is less than the PSU maximum output current
rating for its 5V output, you'll be FINE.

The thing that matters in order not to fry the boards is
that the PSU VOLTAGE must be of the same polarity
and guaranteed minimum / maximum limits as what the
connected devices can deal with.

5V@2000mA +
(5V@0600mA * 6) +
(xV@010ma * 180) =
2 + 3.6 + 1.8 = 7.4A @ 5V except for the
LEDS that I guess get powered off 3.3V from the I/O
modules or something.. anyway...
the 5V 20A PSU will be just fine for all that and more.

Just hook up the polarity right and ensure that the PSU
is well enough (+/- 10% or better) regulated for the
loads specifications.

Looks like they sell a 7A power supply for this unit.

Your best bet is to simply ask the company.
They should be able to answer your question.

Related to I'm terrible with power issues

What are power issues?

Power issues refer to any problems or challenges related to the management, control, or distribution of power in a system or organization.

Why am I terrible with power issues?

There can be various reasons why someone may struggle with power issues. It could be due to a lack of knowledge or experience in this area, difficulty in making decisions, or fear of authority and responsibility.

How can I improve my skills in handling power issues?

Improving skills in handling power issues takes time and effort. Some ways to improve include seeking guidance from experienced individuals, studying and researching power dynamics, and practicing effective communication and decision-making.

What are some common power issues in organizations?

Some common power issues in organizations include unequal distribution of power, abuse of power, lack of accountability, and power struggles between individuals or departments.

How can power issues be resolved in a team or organization?

The resolution of power issues requires open communication, collaboration, and a willingness to address and resolve conflicts. Establishing clear roles and responsibilities, promoting transparency and fairness, and creating a supportive and inclusive work environment can also help in resolving power issues within a team or organization.