I'm sorry, I meant the x and y planes, not the z and y planes.

• Thread starter CB4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Force
In summary, the problem is asking for the forces in the struts and the tension in the cable to support a 1125 N force F in the yz plane. The forces in the struts can only be axial tensile or compressive forces. To solve for these forces, the vectors AD, AB, and AC were first determined and then used to set up a matrix equation. The issue arises when trying to incorporate the 1125 N force into the equations due to its presence in both the z and y planes.
CB4

Homework Statement

A 1125 N force F is supported by cable AD and by struts AB and AC as shown. If the struts can transmit only axial tensile or compressive forces, determine the forces in the struts and the tension in the cable.

a = 6 m

b = 1 m

c = 4 m

d = 6 m

f = 2 m

[PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/773/cbb026135set3dconcurren.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I set everything up by first finding vectors AD, AB, and AC, which come out to be, respectively, <0,6,4>, <-1,6,-2>, <4,6,-2>. I then proceeded to solve for the Force vectors by components and got:

(vec)Fad = 0i(Fad) + .83205j(Fad) + .5547k(Fad)
(vec)Fab = -.156174i(Fab) + .93704j(Fab) - .31235k(Fab)
(vec)Fac = .53452i(Fac) + .80178j(Fac) + .26726k(Fac)

Then I set them up for a matrix

(Sum)Fx = 0i(Fad) - .156174i(Fab) + .53452i(Fac)
(Sum)Fy = .83205j(Fad) + .93704j(Fab) + .80178j(Fac)
(Sum)Fz = .5547k(Fad) - .31235k(Fab) + .26726k(Fac)

The problem that I am having is that the given force of 1125 N lies in both the z and y planes. How exactly do you implement that force into your equations to solve for the variables?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
F = 0*i + 0*j - 1125*k.

CB4: When you determined vectors AB and AC in post 1, I am not yet understanding why you listed the z component as negative.

By the way, when you talk about a plane, you must use two letters to describe the plane (xy, yz, or xz). Therefore, I do not know which planes you are referring to in your question, because you only used one letter. F lies in only one plane, the yz plane.

Related to I'm sorry, I meant the x and y planes, not the z and y planes.

What is a 3D concurrent force problem?

A 3D concurrent force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the resultant force when multiple forces act on an object at different angles and in different directions in three-dimensional space. This type of problem is often encountered in engineering and mechanics.

What is the difference between a 2D and 3D concurrent force problem?

In a 2D concurrent force problem, all forces act in a single plane, whereas in a 3D concurrent force problem, forces act in three-dimensional space. This means that in a 3D problem, forces can act in different planes and at different angles, making the calculations more complex.

How do you solve a 3D concurrent force problem?

To solve a 3D concurrent force problem, you can use the principles of vector addition and trigonometry. First, break down each force into its components in the x, y, and z directions. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force, and use trigonometry to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

What are some common applications of 3D concurrent force problems?

3D concurrent force problems are commonly encountered in engineering and mechanics, such as in the design of structures and machines. They are also used in physics experiments and simulations to understand the behavior of objects under the influence of multiple forces in three-dimensional space.

What are some tips for solving 3D concurrent force problems?

Some tips for solving 3D concurrent force problems include drawing a clear and accurate diagram, breaking down forces into their components, and using trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. It is also important to check your calculations and ensure that all forces are accounted for in the final solution.