I'm new and i need some guidance befor i get banned

• Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
In summary, if you are new to a community or platform and are unsure of the rules and expectations, it is important to seek guidance before taking any actions that may result in being banned. This can include reading through guidelines, asking for help from more experienced members, or observing the behavior of others. By taking the time to familiarize yourself with the community, you can avoid potential consequences and build positive relationships with others.
lioric
I have a homework from my degree course
But i have absolutely no idea how to attempt it
So how do i ask for guidance without being banned?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the HW/Coursework forum and follow the rules as stated in that forum. It is not that difficult!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Use the HW/Coursework forum and follow the rules as stated in that forum. It is not that difficult!

Zz.

This, and tell us your favorite fish. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forums, lioric. :)

ZapperZ said:
It is not that difficult!

Except if he really has no idea of how to start, it's kind of difficult to show his work so far, as we require.

Check the FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4021232&postcount=4

But I looked at my problem for hours and I really don't know how to start!
If you truly looked at the problem for hours, then you must have something that you find confusing. This is something you should tell us about, and it shows you thought about your problem.
Also, when we ask for attempts, people often think that we already want half the solution. This is not true. Attempts consists out of many different forms. You could include a specific question that's confusing you, an approach that doesn't seem to work, definitions or theorems that you're having problems with applying, a previous problem that seems to ask something related but that is easier, etc.

Try to make a drawing! Or try to figure out which concepts/chapters are confusing you. Or look at previous problems. There must be something you can write!

I do agree that sometimes problems can be very difficult. I was once asked as homework to prove that the reals are uncountable. I had no idea what to do or what to apply. I don't know how they would expect us to come up with Cantor's proof. But there is still always something you can write down as an attempt, even if it's minimal.

Thank you very much
I'll try to come up with some thing and get back

lioric said:
Thank you very much
I'll try to come up with some thing and get back
Lioric, just follow the template that pops up when you start a homework problem.

BTW: I'm lioric and i am new to my first degree class
I'm training to be a teacher in physics and chemistry
and you all help me indirectly in the past through you forums and i really love the way you all guide the people to learning

Thank you for the kind welcome

lioric said:
BTW: I'm lioric and i am new to my first degree class
I'm training to be a teacher in physics and chemistry
and you all help me indirectly in the past through you forums and i really love the way you all guide the people to learning

Thank you for the kind welcome

I hope you learn a lot here! Enjoy the ride :smile:

Personally I think it's OK to say that you don't have any idea where to start. The first reply should then be a hint about where to start. However, the place to start is almost always to write down the definitions and think about what they actually say*. If you're supposed to prove that a given function is continuous, you have to at least show us that you know what the statement "f is continuous" means.

*) Believe it or not, I have tried to help people who simply refused to do that and got angry because (in their minds) I wasn't helping them. I'd say that's the biggest mistake one can make in the homework forum, short of explicitly requesting help to cheat. In the best example of this, I tried to help the guy for several hours, and when I had to go to bed I requested that someone else take over. But no one wanted to, since he was so uncooperative. (I think they had the right idea. I should have stopped trying to help him much earlier).

Fredrik said:
Personally I think it's OK to say that you don't have any idea where to start. The first reply should then be a hint about where to start. However, the place to start is almost always to write down the definitions and think about what they actually say*. If you're supposed to prove that a given function is continuous, you have to at least show us that you know what the statement "f is continuous" means.

This is a good post. If the OP can already identify the concepts and the definitions he needs and then state them, then this is already a good attempt for a difficult problem.

Believe it or not, but the mentors don't just infract everybody who don't make an attempt. We also tend to look at the problem at hand. If the problem is really difficult, then making no attempt might be acceptable. I do think we usually recognize which people really have a difficult problem and which people simply make no effort.

What does the line through a poster's name mean? Banned?

Thinkor said:

Yes.

Thinkor said:

That means we tie the member tightly and prepare him/her for our volcano's final jump ritual. Saying good bye, throwing flowers and candy everywhere.

:biggrin:

Related to I'm new and i need some guidance befor i get banned

What can I do to avoid getting banned as a new member?

As a new member, it's important to familiarize yourself with the community guidelines and rules. Make sure to read through them thoroughly and follow them closely to avoid any violations. Additionally, try to contribute positively to the community by actively engaging in discussions and avoiding any offensive or inappropriate behavior.

How can I get help or guidance as a new member?

If you need any help or guidance, don't hesitate to reach out to more experienced members or moderators. They are often happy to assist and provide helpful tips for navigating the community. You can also check for any FAQs or resources provided by the community to help you get started.

What should I do if I accidentally break a rule?

If you accidentally break a rule, the best course of action is to acknowledge your mistake and apologize. Make sure to communicate with members or moderators and take responsibility for your actions. Depending on the severity of the violation, you may receive a warning or further disciplinary action, but owning up to your mistake can go a long way.

How can I make a positive impact as a new member?

One of the best ways to make a positive impact as a new member is to get involved in the community. This can include participating in discussions, sharing your knowledge and expertise, and being respectful and supportive of others. You can also contribute by reporting any rule violations or inappropriate behavior to moderators.

What can I do if I feel overwhelmed or intimidated as a new member?

It's normal to feel overwhelmed or intimidated as a new member, especially in a large and active community. If you feel this way, don't be afraid to take a step back and observe before jumping into discussions. You can also reach out to moderators or more experienced members for guidance and support. Remember, everyone was a new member at some point, and the community is always willing to help and welcome new members.