I'm looking for some cold propulsion possibilities

In summary: Rossy's jet pack can give a person a thrust of up to 1.5 kN, which is more than enough to lift a person off the ground. The problem with using jet packs for long distance travel is that they give off large amounts of heat, and without a way to dissipate it, it could be dangerous.
ShaneGarcia7
I am coming up with a new wing suit that combines soaring with jet pack propulsion in such a way that even valley dwellers can fly, and possibly commute in this fassion. I fear compressed gas alone will not have enough thrust for long enough.
One concept to think of is to charge a liquid/gas substance negatively, and have the repulsion of the electrons become propulsion for the aircraft (person), but how can that charge be contained without shocking the container...?
I am hesitant to try heat based propulsion because there will be no heat protection.
Help would be much appreciated ;)

Engineering news on Phys.org
@#2 yes! Thank you!

The thrust of an ion thruster is, I believe at the current state of the technology, far far too low for low altitude sustained flight for a payload of 200 lbs.

ShaneGarcia7 said:
I am coming up with a new wing suit that combines soaring with jet pack propulsion in such a way that even valley dwellers can fly, and possibly commute in this fassion. I fear compressed gas alone will not have enough thrust for long enough.
One concept to think of is to charge a liquid/gas substance negatively, and have the repulsion of the electrons become propulsion for the aircraft (person), but how can that charge be contained without shocking the container...?
I am hesitant to try heat based propulsion because there will be no heat protection.
Help would be much appreciated ;)
Compressed gas would require a thick-walled (relatively speaking) storage tank, which would defeat the purpose of propulsion.

It is impractical to storage charge.

Ion thrusters produce low thrust.

One must look at thrust to weight/mass ratios for appropriate technology.

A more practical approach would be along the lines of the Jet Man, Yves Rossy.

A wing suit is usually for gliding, or rather falling more slowly than without a wingsuit. Their is insufficient lift in a wingsuit to make it practical for long distance travel.

Related to I'm looking for some cold propulsion possibilities

What is cold propulsion?

Cold propulsion refers to a type of propulsion system that uses cryogenic fuels, which are gases or liquids that have been cooled to extremely low temperatures. These fuels are typically used to generate thrust and propel a spacecraft or other vehicle through space.

What are the advantages of cold propulsion?

One of the main advantages of cold propulsion is its efficiency. Cryogenic fuels have a higher specific impulse, which means they can produce more thrust with less fuel compared to traditional propulsion systems. This can result in longer mission durations and faster travel times. Additionally, cold propulsion systems are less polluting and can be more cost-effective in the long run.

What are the limitations of cold propulsion?

One of the main limitations of cold propulsion is the storage and handling of cryogenic fuels. These fuels need to be kept at extremely low temperatures, which can be challenging and expensive. Additionally, the technology for cold propulsion is still in its early stages and may not be suitable for all types of missions.

What are some examples of cold propulsion systems?

Some examples of cold propulsion systems include electric propulsion, which uses ionized gases as propellant, and cryogenic rocket engines, which use liquid hydrogen or liquid oxygen as fuel. Other examples include cold gas thrusters and solar sail propulsion systems.

What is the future of cold propulsion?

The future of cold propulsion is promising, with ongoing research and development in the field. Some experts believe that cryogenic fuels will become the standard for space travel in the future, as they offer greater efficiency and reduced environmental impact. However, more advancements and improvements are needed before cold propulsion can be widely adopted.