I'm looking for a vector calculus book

In summary, Schey's "Div, Grad, Curl and All That" is a great vector calculus book for self-study. It includes a good number of exercises covering all regular vector calculus topics and has a consistent instructional thread. The book is designed for self-study and provides minimal physics concepts. It also has a lot of practice problems with answers included.
ktheo
I'm looking for a vector calculus book that's good for self study. I need to get some extra practice would like something with a good number of exercises covering all the regular vector calculus topics. A book as applied as possible would be nice. Any suggestions? I've used Vector Calculus by Tromba and Marsden but I gave it to my little brother for his multivariable calculus class and I didn't really like it much to begin with.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Schey's "Div, Grad, Curl and All That". It was designed for self study, has a lot of problems (with answers), and goes into all of the details. It has a consistent instructional thread: all problems are posed in terms of solving problems in electrostatics - but he also provides the very minimal physics required: Coulomb's law.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393925161/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Related to I'm looking for a vector calculus book

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It includes topics such as vector operations, differential and integral calculus of vector fields, and theorems like Green's theorem and Stokes' theorem.

Why would I need a vector calculus book?

If you are studying a field that involves vector quantities, such as physics or engineering, you will need to understand vector calculus in order to solve problems and analyze data. A vector calculus book provides a comprehensive and organized resource for learning and practicing the concepts.

What should I look for in a vector calculus book?

When looking for a vector calculus book, you should consider the level of detail and explanations provided, the clarity of the examples and exercises, the relevance of the topics to your field of study, and the availability of supplementary materials such as online resources or practice problems.

Are there any recommended vector calculus books?

There are many vector calculus books available, so the recommended book will depend on your specific needs and preferences. However, some popular options include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by John H. Hubbard and Barbara Burke Hubbard, and "Vector Calculus" by Susan Jane Colley.

Can I learn vector calculus without a book?

While it is possible to learn some basic concepts of vector calculus without a book, a comprehensive understanding of the subject typically requires a structured and organized resource such as a textbook. Furthermore, a book allows for self-paced learning and provides a reference for future use.