I'm having some trouble understanding bra-ket notation?

In summary, the individual has been studying quantum physics but is struggling to understand the principles of bra-ket notation, specifically how spin states are described and the associated probabilities and eigenvalues. They are seeking a basic explanation and recommendations for helpful resources. It is suggested that an introductory level textbook on quantum mechanics should provide this information, but it would be helpful if the individual could specify which aspects of the notation they are having trouble with. If they have not yet read a textbook, it is recommended that they start with one.
verschrankung
I have been studying quantum physics for some time, yet I still cannot seem to understand the principles behind bra-ket notation (especially how spin states are described and the probabilities/eigenvalues). It would be great if someone could give me a basic explanation and/or maybe recommend some helpful resources.

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be explained in any introductory level textbook on quantum mechanics, but I assume you have read one. If that is the case, it would make it easier for us to help you if you specify what exactly in the notation you are having problems with or find unclear. If not, i suggest starting with a textbook.

Likes bhobba

Related to I'm having some trouble understanding bra-ket notation?

1. What is bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system. It consists of angle brackets, with a vertical line representing the "ket" vector and a horizontal line representing the "bra" vector.

2. How is bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

Bra-ket notation is used to represent the state of a quantum system, which is described by a complex vector in a Hilbert space. It is also used to represent quantum operators, such as observables and transformations.

3. What do the symbols in bra-ket notation mean?

The "ket" vector, |ψ⟩, represents the state of a quantum system, while the "bra" vector, ⟨ϕ|, represents the dual state. The angle brackets, ⟨ϕ|ψ⟩, represent the inner product between the two states, which is a complex number.

4. How do you perform operations with bra-ket notation?

To perform operations with bra-ket notation, you can use the rules of linear algebra. For example, to find the inner product of two states, you can take the conjugate of the "bra" vector and multiply it by the "ket" vector. You can also use the notation to represent quantum operators, such as ⟨A⟩ = ⟨ϕ|A|ψ⟩.

5. Are there any other notations used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are other notations used in quantum mechanics, such as Dirac notation and matrix notation. However, bra-ket notation is the most commonly used notation due to its simplicity and compactness.