#ILookLikeAPhysicist is trending on Twitter

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Twitter
In summary: I definitely notice it more when I'm looking for an academic position. However, I also think that there is sexism in other industries as well.
This is in addition to #ILookLikeAnEnineer

Isis Anchalee is a platform engineer at a company called OneLogin who appeared in a recruiting ad for her company. The ad sparked some sexist social media commentary from people who implied that this actual image of an actual woman who is an actual engineer was not a plausible "image of what a female engineer looks like." She launched the hashtag #ILookLikeAnEngineer in response to show that women who are also engineers look like ... women.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/5/9099719/does-an-engineer-look-like-this-yes

So now #ILookLikeAPhysicist has taken off. People posting photos of what Physicists really look like
https://twitter.com/search?vertical=default&q=#ILookLikeAPhysicist &src=typd

Anyway, it's a nice initiative and feel free to contribute!

Likes berkeman and Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
The tweets disappear so I couldn't see who posted this image. I thought that it was pretty humorous though.

CLvvZ0wWcAAdjsM.jpg

Likes spino, Jozape, collinsmark and 2 others
I think you're getting there Greg. Well the beard anyway. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
A lot of those people look like physicists to me!

I just can't wait for the feminists to finally give up and for people to study why fields are made up more of one sex than any other versus presupposing that because one is, such is because of sexism. Sad stuff.

dlgoff said:
There should be a twitter "ILookLikeTheMan".
You don't look like the man, you ARE the man! :)

Likes dlgoff
polisny said:
I just can't wait for the feminists to finally give up and for people to study why fields are made up more of one sex than any other versus presupposing that because one is, such is because of sexism. Sad stuff.

You can't deny there is sexism in academia. Maybe it doesn't bother you so you don't notice it, but it is there.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff said:
I think you're getting there Greg. Well the beard anyway. :oldbiggrin:
I'm starting to get there too.

Physicist.jpg

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to #ILookLikeAPhysicist is trending on Twitter

1. What is the reason behind the hashtag #ILookLikeAPhysicist trending on Twitter?

The hashtag #ILookLikeAPhysicist is trending on Twitter because of the growing movement to break stereotypes and showcase diversity in the field of physics. This hashtag was created to challenge the common stereotypes of what a physicist looks like and to highlight that physicists come from all backgrounds, genders, and races.

2. Who started the #ILookLikeAPhysicist hashtag?

The #ILookLikeAPhysicist hashtag was started by Dr. Jessica Esquivel, a physicist and postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Riverside. She started the hashtag in response to a photo of a group of physicists that received backlash for not fitting the traditional stereotype of a physicist.

3. Why is it important for the hashtag #ILookLikeAPhysicist to go viral on social media?

It is important for the hashtag #ILookLikeAPhysicist to go viral on social media because it brings attention to the issue of diversity and representation in the field of physics. By showcasing a variety of individuals who identify as physicists, it challenges the notion that there is a specific "look" or type of person who can be successful in this field.

4. How is the hashtag #ILookLikeAPhysicist impacting the physics community?

The hashtag #ILookLikeAPhysicist is having a positive impact on the physics community by promoting inclusivity and diversity. It is encouraging individuals from underrepresented groups to pursue careers in physics and breaking down stereotypes that may discourage them from doing so. It is also bringing attention to the need for greater diversity in the field and sparking important discussions about inclusivity.

5. What can we do to support the #ILookLikeAPhysicist movement?

There are many ways to support the #ILookLikeAPhysicist movement. You can use the hashtag on social media to share your own story and promote diversity in physics. You can also actively challenge stereotypes and promote inclusivity in your own workplace or academic institution. Additionally, supporting and advocating for diversity and inclusion initiatives in the field of physics can help to create a more welcoming and diverse community.