If you lie on the ground at night with no cover, you get cold rather

• Thread starter disneychannel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Ground
In summary, lying on the ground at night with little cover will result in quick cooling due to energy loss by radiation. In a dry climate, the temperature of the sky can drop to -40oC, while the surface temperature of the skin and clothes will be around 30 oC. To estimate the net rate of energy loss under these conditions, it is recommended to use half of the typical surface area of the skin, which is 1.8 m2.
disneychannel
If you lie on the ground at night with no cover, you get cold rather quickly. Much of this is due to energy loss by radiation. At night in a dry climate, the temperature of the sky can drop to -40oC. If you are lying on the ground with thin clothing that provides little insulation, the surface temperature of your skin and clothes will be about 30 oC.

Estimate the net rate at which your body loses energy by radiation to the night sky under these conditions.

I know how to do the problem, but my issue is what area should I use? I have been using 1.8 m 2 but it's not working out.

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think, that's typical surface area of skin all around the body. Only half is exposed to night sky, though. So try half of that.

Related to If you lie on the ground at night with no cover, you get cold rather

1. Why do you get cold when lying on the ground at night with no cover?

When you lie on the ground at night with no cover, your body heat is quickly absorbed by the cold ground. Your body is also exposed to the cold air, which causes your body to lose heat at a faster rate. This results in you feeling cold.

2. Does the type of ground or surface you lie on affect how cold you get?

Yes, the type of ground or surface you lie on can greatly affect how cold you get. For example, lying on wet or damp ground will make you feel colder because water is a better conductor of heat than dry ground. Additionally, lying on hard surfaces, such as concrete, can also make you feel colder as they do not provide any insulation.

3. Can lying on the ground with no cover be dangerous?

Yes, lying on the ground with no cover can be dangerous, especially in colder temperatures. Prolonged exposure to cold temperatures can lead to hypothermia, which is a serious condition where your body loses heat faster than it can produce it. This can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.

4. Is there anything you can do to stay warm when lying on the ground with no cover?

Yes, there are a few things you can do to stay warm when lying on the ground with no cover. One option is to insulate yourself from the ground by using natural materials, such as leaves or grass, or by using a sleeping pad or blanket. You can also wear warm clothing and cover your head with a hat or scarf to retain body heat.

5. Is it better to sleep on the ground with no cover or to stay in a tent?

It is generally better to sleep in a tent than on the ground with no cover. Tents provide insulation and protection from the cold, wind, and other elements. They also help to retain body heat and keep you dry. However, in an emergency situation, lying on the ground with no cover may be necessary. In this case, it is important to take precautions to stay warm and seek shelter as soon as possible.