If you could question of any scientist in history

In summary, the tech at Femi Lab talked to Stephen Hawking and mentioned that sometimes his job sucks, but the work is interesting. Hawking replied, "Me too". Then, I would ask Galileo about Christians, and Einstein about Fast clocks. Lastly, I would ask Dr Eugene Shoemaker about what he found on his final visit to the Tanami Desert.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you could question any scientist in history

Darn. Didn't get back in time to fix the title.

I recently heard a story about a tech at Femi Lab who found himself alone for a few minutes with Stephen Hawking. What would you say!?

Also, when I saw Hawking at the U of O some years ago, we all submitted a questions and ten were selected to be answered. I really had to think about my question; where to begin...?

If you could ask one question of any scientist from history, who and what would you ask.

My favorite question that was asked of Hawking: "If you could go anywhere in the universe, where would it be?" It seems that no one had ever asked him this before. His answer [effectively]: If somehow made possible, inside of a black hole.

Hawking asked the tech at Fermi Lab if he like his job. The tech said something like, "my job kind of sucks sometimes but the work is interesting". Hawking eventually replied: "Me too".

Hey Integral, if you are reading this, did I get that right? Did he actually say "sucks" to Hawking or did he just say that to us? Maybe he just said "boring".

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
"Hey Galileo, what do you think of Christians?"

I am not going to be able to top that, Dagenais!

I would ask Darwin, "Did you fear being ostracized by your community for providing a theory that was so at-odds with Biblical literalism?"

Second choice: I would ask Gregor Mendel if he fudged any of his data in his pea-plant experiments.

Einstein. I'd ask him if he really meant to write "Fast clock run slow." or if "Fast clocks will be measured as running slow" wouldn't have been a better way to put it.

Dr Eugene Shoemaker

I've conversed with many famous scientists over the years.

The one that I would like to ask just one more question of, is the late Dr Eugene Shoemaker.

I would ask him, "What did you find on your final visit to the Tanami Desert?"

I have my suspicions, but I'd like confirmation.

PS: I was the one who recently obtained (and posted) the Coroner's Report on Dr Eugene Shoemaker.

Dagenais said:
"Hey Galileo, what do you think of Christians?"

Galileo: Some, like me, are good. Some, like Ludovico delle Colombe, are bad.

"Now Mr. Fermat, here's a nice, empty notebook with lots of space in these pages..."

Related to If you could question of any scientist in history

1. Who is considered the greatest scientist of all time?

The answer to this question is subjective and varies depending on personal opinions. Some of the most notable and influential scientists in history include Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Galileo Galilei, Charles Darwin, and Marie Curie.

2. What was the most groundbreaking scientific discovery in history?

Again, this answer is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. Some of the most significant discoveries in history include the theory of gravity by Newton, the theory of relativity by Einstein, the heliocentric model of the universe by Galileo, and the theory of evolution by Darwin.

3. How has science impacted society and the world?

Science has had a profound impact on society and the world. It has led to technological advancements, improved healthcare, and a better understanding of the natural world. Science also helps us to solve complex problems and make informed decisions about important issues.

4. What are some of the most challenging questions that scientists are currently trying to answer?

Scientists are currently trying to answer many challenging questions, such as the origin of the universe, the nature of consciousness, the cure for diseases, and the effects of climate change. These questions require continuous research and collaboration among scientists from various fields.

5. How can I become a successful scientist?

To become a successful scientist, you need to have a strong passion for learning, critical thinking skills, and a curious mind. It also requires dedication, hard work, and perseverance. Pursuing a degree in science, conducting research, and continuously learning and adapting to new information are essential steps to becoming a successful scientist.