If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?

In summary, to find the height of the cliff, you need to use the equations vf=vi+at and d=vi*t+.5*a*t^2. You also need to consider the time taken for sound to travel back up, which can be represented by the variables t1 and t2. By setting up two simultaneous equations, you can solve for t1 and t2 and then plug them into the first equation to find the height of the cliff.
Domainx

Homework Statement

A rock is dropped from a sea cliff and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 4.7 s later. If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

d=vit+.5at^2
vf^2=vi^2 +2ad
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

so, i don't know how to have both the speed of sound and the rock's acceleration counted. i don't know, please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, break this up. you have two separate ideas.
how long does it take for the rock to hit the bottom?
(rock accelerates down at g=-9.8m/s^2).
add that to how long it takes for the sound to get back to you.
(sound travels at constant velocity v=340m/s).

Write an equation for the time taken for the rock to hit the ocean using your kinematics equations. Then write another equation for the time taken for sound to travel upwards from the ocean to the top of the cliff. You can assume the speed of sound is constant in the latter. Name the time variable in the former equation t1 and t2 for the latter equation. You now have 2 simultaneous equations. Solve them and plug them into the first one to get h.

. Edited .
As other people said it.

qbert said:
well, break this up. you have two separate ideas.
how long does it take for the rock to hit the bottom?
(rock accelerates down at g=-9.8m/s^2).
add that to how long it takes for the sound to get back to you.
(sound travels at constant velocity v=340m/s).

well, how do i know how long it takes?? i just need someone to start this. i have the initial velocity (0), the acceleration (9.81 m/s/s)..
and equations vf=vi + at (but I'm missing vf and t)
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad (missing d and vf)
d=vi*t + .5*a*t^2 (missing d and t)
so how do i figure it out??

You don't have to use your first equation. Use another one instead.

ok but how can i use any of those when I'm missing 2 variables?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply to use another one of your equations. What equation can you come up with relating the speed of sound to the distance traveled back up and the time taken?

i have no idea how to make equations, I'm not that advanced in physics i think!
i guess, you could say that '340 m/s * time' + 'vi*t + .5*a*t^2' is the total distance, but..idk. i just need a jumpstart.

Yes that's right. You need a separate variable for time taken for sound to travel back up, and one for the rock to drop to the waters.

i don't know how to do this. i just need help. i know the answer already, i just want to see how to do it. could you show me? if you get the answer to be like 95ish, then it's right.

You have vst2 = h
and h = 1/2 g t1^2 and t1 + t2 = 4.7 , by your equations. Express either t1 or t2 in terms of the other, substitute into the equations and solve for them and plug them into the equation to find h.

Related to If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?

1. How is the speed of sound related to the height of a cliff?

The speed of sound is directly related to the height of a cliff. This is because the speed of sound is affected by the density and temperature of the air, which changes as altitude increases. Therefore, the higher the cliff, the longer it will take for the sound to travel from the top to the bottom.

2. What is the formula for calculating the height of a cliff using the speed of sound?

The formula for calculating the height of a cliff using the speed of sound is: height = (speed of sound x time)/2. This formula takes into account the time it takes for the sound to travel from the top to the bottom of the cliff and divides it by 2, as the sound wave has to travel both up and down the cliff.

3. Can the speed of sound change in different environments?

Yes, the speed of sound can change in different environments. As mentioned earlier, the density and temperature of the air can affect the speed of sound. For example, sound travels faster in warm air and slower in cold air. It also travels faster in denser mediums, such as water, compared to less dense mediums, such as air.

4. Is the speed of sound a constant value?

No, the speed of sound is not a constant value. As mentioned before, it can change in different environments. It also varies depending on the medium through which the sound is traveling. For example, the speed of sound is different in air, water, and solid materials.

5. Is the speed of sound affected by altitude?

Yes, the speed of sound is affected by altitude. As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense and the temperature decreases, which can affect the speed of sound. This is why sound travels faster at lower altitudes compared to higher altitudes.