If G is the union of 3 of its subgroups, show that they each have index 2

In summary: I now pick the subgroup of index 2 to be H_1 so since |G: H_1| = 2 , i know that |H_1| = |G|/2 and I was able to deduce that G = H_{1}H_{i} and |H_i : H_{1} \cap H_{i}| = 2 for i = 2, 3 (this was another hint given with the problem as well). I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do next.
oblixps
Let G be a finite group and let [tex] G = H_1 \cup H_2 \cup H_3 [/tex]. Show that [tex] [G: H_i] = 2 [/tex] for i = 1, 2, 3.

There was a hint for this question saying to first prove that at least one of the subgroups has index 2 in G. So far I am not sure how to even start this problem. I know that the orders of [tex] H_1, H_2, H_3 [/tex] must divide the order of G, but this doesn't give much information. I was thinking of trying to show that the order of G must have a factor of 2, since [tex] |G| = [G: H_i]|H_i| [/tex] but with only the information given, I have no idea how to go about it.

Could someone offer a hint or two on how to proceed? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is something missing from the question, as you said [G:H] should also divide G order what about a group with order dose not divide 2, odd order for example
[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{9} [/tex] with addition has odd order.
G order should be even

oblixps said:
Let G be a finite group and let [tex] G = H_1 \cup H_2 \cup H_3 [/tex]. Show that [tex] [G: H_i] = 2 [/tex] for i = 1, 2, 3.

There was a hint for this question saying to first prove that at least one of the subgroups has index 2 in G.
To prove the hint, suppose (in order to get a contradiction) that each of the subgroups has index greater than 2. Then $|H_i| \leqslant \tfrac13|G|$ (for $i = 1, 2, 3$). In other words, each of the subgroups contains at most 1/3 of the elements of $G$. But the subgroups have nonempty intersection, because the identity element is in each of them. It follows that their union does not contain enough elements to span the whole of $G$.

thanks for the reply. I now pick the subgroup of index 2 to be H_1 so since [tex] |G: H_1| = 2 [/tex], i know that [tex] |H_1| = |G|/2 [/tex] and I was able to deduce that [tex] G = H_{1}H_{i} [/tex] and [tex] |H_i : H_{1} \cap H_{i}| = 2 [/tex] for i = 2, 3 (this was another hint given with the problem as well). I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do next.

I have tried writing [tex] |H_2| = 2|H_{1} \cap H_{2}| [/tex] and [tex] |H_3| = 2|H_{1} \cap H_{3}| [/tex] and i tried using the inclusion exclusion principle so that [tex] |G| = |H_1| + |H_2| + |H_3| - |H_{1} \cap H_{2}| - |H_{1} \cap H_{3}| - |H_{2} \cap H_{3}| + |H_{1} \cap H_{2} \cap H_{3}| [/tex]. Substituting everything i know so far, i have [tex] |G|/2 = |H_{1} \cap H_{2}| + |H_{1} \cap H_{3}| - |H_{2} \cap H_{3}| + H_{1} \cap H_{2} \cap H_{3}| [/tex]. but the trouble is i don't know anything about the last 2 terms. is this the way to go? or is there a better way of using this 2nd hint?

oblixps said:
thanks for the reply. I now pick the subgroup of index 2 to be H_1 so since [tex] |G: H_1| = 2 [/tex], i know that [tex] |H_1| = |G|/2 [/tex] and I was able to deduce that [tex] G = H_{1}H_{i} [/tex] and [tex] |H_i : H_{1} \cap H_{i}| = 2 [/tex] for i = 2, 3 (this was another hint given with the problem as well). I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do next.

I have tried writing [tex] |H_2| = 2|H_{1} \cap H_{2}| [/tex] and [tex] |H_3| = 2|H_{1} \cap H_{3}| [/tex] and i tried using the inclusion exclusion principle so that [tex] |G| = |H_1| + |H_2| + |H_3| - |H_{1} \cap H_{2}| - |H_{1} \cap H_{3}| - |H_{2} \cap H_{3}| + |H_{1} \cap H_{2} \cap H_{3}| [/tex]. Substituting everything i know so far, i have [tex] |G|/2 = |H_{1} \cap H_{2}| + |H_{1} \cap H_{3}| - |H_{2} \cap H_{3}| + H_{1} \cap H_{2} \cap H_{3}| [/tex]. but the trouble is i don't know anything about the last 2 terms. is this the way to go? or is there a better way of using this 2nd hint?
You have identified the most important fact, which is that $|H_i : H_{1} \cap H_{i}| = 2$. If I can express it informally, that means that half of the elements of $H_i$ are in $H_1$ ( for $i=2,3$). The other half are in the coset $G\setminus H_1$, which is half the size of $G$. If either $H_2$ or $H_3$ has index $\geqslant 3$ then that $H_i$ is at most 1/3 the size of $G$, so the half of it in the coset $G\setminus H_1$ is at most 1/6 the size of $G$. As before, that will not be enough for the two groups $H_2$ and $H_3$ together to cover the whole coset.

Last edited:

Related to If G is the union of 3 of its subgroups, show that they each have index 2

1. What is the definition of a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that is also a group under the same operation. In other words, a subgroup contains elements from the original group and follows the same rules for combining those elements.

2. How do you prove that a subgroup has index 2?

To prove that a subgroup has index 2, we must show that there are only two distinct cosets (left or right) of the subgroup in the original group. This can be done by showing that the cosets are either equal or disjoint.

3. Why is it important to show that G is the union of 3 of its subgroups?

Showing that G is the union of 3 of its subgroups allows us to conclude that these subgroups have a special relationship with the original group G. In this case, it shows that each subgroup has index 2, which can provide insights into the structure and properties of G.

4. Can a subgroup have an index other than 2?

Yes, a subgroup can have an index other than 2. The index of a subgroup can be any positive integer, but it must be a divisor of the order of the original group.

5. What implications does this statement have for the subgroups and the original group G?

This statement implies that the subgroups are closely related to the original group G and have a significant impact on its structure. Additionally, it shows that these subgroups are of equal size and have a special relationship with each other and with G.