If density of object is slightly greater than density of fluid?

In summary: After a while, I started trying to teach it to my students by breaking it down into simpler concepts and then building on that.
hongiddong
I know that if density of an object is equal to density of fluid, the object will be fully submerged hovering right underneath the fluid.

My questions related to this concept are:

1. If the density of the object is extremely slightly greater than the density of the fluid, will the object look as if it is suspended more under the fluid than at the horizon, but it is actually slowly accelerating to the bottom?

2. If my premise for 1. is wrong, how can an object be fully suspended in water and be lower than at the surface of the fluid without accelerating downward.

3. Lastly, if we were to have a scale underwater, would the apparent weight of an object with equal density to fluid density be zero?

Thanks Physics forums!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
1. It is unclear what you mean by "suspended more under the fluid than at the horizon". An object with greater density than the fluid will have a net acceleration down due to negative buoyancy. Now, if the object is moving, this net acceleration may be countered by the resistance of the fluid. This means that if you have two objects identical in shape, volume and surface condition, but of different density, the heavier one will have a higher terminal velocity.

3. Yes. The object would have neutral buoyancy.
(As a side note, as a scuba diver, you will try to aim for neutral buoyancy when your buoyancy control device is empty. If you do not find this sweetspot, the air in your BCD will expand when you go up - increasing your buoyancy - or be compressed when you go down. This represents a very unstable buoyancy and could result in uncontrolled ascents if you are not careful - such quick ascents may be outright dangerous. On another side note, my diving instructor had mixed feelings about trying to teach diving physics to a physicist ;))

'extremely slightly'? Which is it?

Ok ok I see I see thank you Orodruin! By extremely slightly I meant slightly, SteamKing.

I think I can just answer what I think you mean:

In the real world, no object has a fixed buoyancy. For some objects it increases with depth and for others it decreases with depth.

If the net force is down for an object just below the surface, but buoyancy is increasing with depth, there is a stable depth that the object will sink to.

If the net force is down for an object just below the surface, but buoyancy is decreasing with depth, it will accelerate all the way to the bottom.

russ_watters said:
If the net force is down for an object just below the surface, but buoyancy is decreasing with depth, it will accelerate all the way to the bottom.

Or, if it is up at the bottom and decreasing with depth (so increasing as you go up), it will accelerate all the way to the surface - as in the case of the diver with air left in the BCD. This is the reason divers want to have just enough weights to be neutral without air in the BCD. If you put too much you will have stability problems, too little and you will not be able to get down (as you will be positive even with an empty BCD).

Edit: just as an aside, the object with buoyancy increasing as you go down will performed damped oscillations around the equilibrium point. Whether or not it overshoots the first time around depends on the amount of damping.

Orodruin said:
just as an aside, the object with buoyancy increasing as you go down will performed damped oscillations around the equilibrium point.

Yup, that's what "waves" are. :biggrin:

Orodruin said:
1. It is unclear what you mean by "suspended more under the fluid than at the horizon". An object with greater density than the fluid will have a net acceleration down due to negative buoyancy. Now, if the object is moving, this net acceleration may be countered by the resistance of the fluid. This means that if you have two objects identical in shape, volume and surface condition, but of different density, the heavier one will have a higher terminal velocity.

3. Yes. The object would have neutral buoyancy.
(As a side note, as a scuba diver, you will try to aim for neutral buoyancy when your buoyancy control device is empty. If you do not find this sweetspot, the air in your BCD will expand when you go up - increasing your buoyancy - or be compressed when you go down. This represents a very unstable buoyancy and could result in uncontrolled ascents if you are not careful - such quick ascents may be outright dangerous. On another side note, my diving instructor had mixed feelings about trying to teach diving physics to a physicist ;))

I had exactly the same problem with a parachuting instructor. He was Army Parachute Association and wanted us all to do it by numbers. He just couldn't handle technical enthusiasm in his students.

Related to If density of object is slightly greater than density of fluid?

1. What is the concept of density?

Density is a physical property that measures the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The unit for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How does the density of an object compare to the density of a fluid?

If the density of an object is slightly greater than the density of a fluid, it means that the object will sink in the fluid. This is because the object is more compact and has more mass in a given volume compared to the fluid. However, the object will not sink all the way to the bottom as it still displaces some of the fluid and creates buoyancy.

3. What happens if the density of an object is equal to the density of a fluid?

If the density of an object is equal to the density of a fluid, the object will remain suspended in the fluid without sinking or floating. This is because the object and the fluid have the same amount of mass in a given volume, resulting in no net force acting on the object.

4. Can an object with a greater density than a fluid float?

No, an object with a greater density than a fluid will not float. This is because the object is more compact and has more mass in a given volume compared to the fluid, causing it to sink. In order for an object to float, its density must be less than the density of the fluid it is in.

5. How does the density of an object affect its behavior in a fluid?

The density of an object plays a significant role in determining its behavior in a fluid. If the density of an object is greater than the density of the fluid, it will sink. If the density is equal to the fluid, the object will remain suspended. And if the density is less than the fluid, the object will float. This is due to the principle of buoyancy, where the density of an object affects the amount of fluid it displaces and the resulting upward force acting on the object.