If all 3 roots of ##az^3+bz^2+cz+d=0## have negative real part

In summary, a polynomial having negative real roots means that the solutions to the polynomial are all complex numbers with negative real parts. A polynomial can have at most n distinct real roots, and therefore a polynomial with degree 3 can have at most 3 real roots, all of which can be negative. It is also possible for a polynomial to have only negative real roots. The significance of a polynomial having all negative real roots can have implications in various fields of mathematics, such as in stability analysis of systems or in finding the roots of a differential equation. To determine if a polynomial has all negative real roots, we can use Descartes' rule of signs or the intermediate value theorem.
cr7einstein

Homework Statement

Hi all!

The problem is - 'find the condition that all roots of $$f(z)=az^3+bz^2+cz+d=0$$ have negative real part, where $$z$$ is a complex number'.

The answer - $$a,b,d$$ have the same sign.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no clue about how to proceed. Here is what I tried- $$ f'(z)=3az^2+2bz+c$$, which at extrema gives the roots as $$z=\frac{-2b+/-\sqrt{(4b^2-12ac)}}{6a}$$. If the real part is negative, then $$\frac{-2b}{6a}<0$$, which implies that $$a,b$$ have the same sign. I am not sure if what I have done is right, and have no idea about proving the rest of it. Please help.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see that "extrema" have anything to do with this. Are we to assume that the coefficients are real? You don't say that but I suspect it is assumed. In that case, roots come in complex complementary pairs. We can write them as u+ iv, u- iv, and w with u and w negative. So the equation must be of the form a(z- u- iv)(z- u+ iv)(z- w)= a((z-u)^2+ v^2)(z- w)= a(z^2- 2uz+ u^2+ v^2)(z- w)= az^3- (aw+ 2au)z^2+ (au^2+ av^2+ 2auw)z- (au^2w+ av^2w)= az^3+ bz^2+ cz+ d.

Ok, I think I have it.

Since $$z$$ is a complex number, $$f(z)$$ must have a complex root. As they occur in conjugate pairs, 2 out of 3 roots of f(z) must be imaginary. The remaining one shall be purely real (and obviously rational). Now, all three have negative real parts. So, let's name the roots-$$\alpha=-x+iy, \beta=-x-iy, \gamma=-k$$, where $$x,y,k>0$$. Now,since $$\alpha+\beta+\gamma=-b/a$$; we get (after substituting and a trivial simplification),

$$-(2x+k)=-b/a$$. As both x and k are positive, we get $$b/a>0$$ i.e. $$b$$ and $$a$$ are of same sign.(Which can also be arrived at with differentiation, as in my question)

Now, $$\alpha\beta\gamma=-d/a$$, which after substitution and simplification gives-
$$(-k)(x^2+y^2)=-d/a$$.

As $$x^2+y^2$$ is always positive, multiplying with negative number $$(-k)$$ gives the LHS as negative. Thus, $$-d/a<0$$, implying $$d/a>0$$, and hence, $$a,d$$ have same sign.

Combining above two results, $$a,b,d$$ have the same sign.

cr7einstein said:
Ok, I think I have it.

Since $$z$$ is a complex number, $$f(z)$$ must have a complex root. As they occur in conjugate pairs, 2 out of 3 roots of f(z) must be imaginary. The remaining one shall be purely real (and obviously rational).
It's not relevant to your solution, but why is it obvious that the real root is rational?

Minor complaint about your layout: you are overusing LaTeX here, which is why you have so many lines with just a single character on them. For many of the things you wrote, inline LaTeX is a big improvement over standalone LaTeX. For inline, use ## at the beginning and end, instead of $$.
Making this change, your second sentence below becomes:
Since ##z## is a complex number, ##f(z)## must have a complex root.
Isn't that an improvement?
cr7einstein said:
Ok, I think I have it.

Since $$z$$ is a complex number, $$f(z)$$ must have a complex root. As they occur in conjugate pairs, 2 out of 3 roots of f(z) must be imaginary. The remaining one shall be purely real (and obviously rational). Now, all three have negative real parts. So, let's name the roots-$$\alpha=-x+iy, \beta=-x-iy, \gamma=-k$$, where $$x,y,k>0$$. Now,since $$\alpha+\beta+\gamma=-b/a$$; we get (after substituting and a trivial simplification),

$$-(2x+k)=-b/a$$. As both x and k are positive, we get $$b/a>0$$ i.e. $$b$$ and $$a$$ are of same sign.(Which can also be arrived at with differentiation, as in my question)

Now, $$\alpha\beta\gamma=-d/a$$, which after substitution and simplification gives-
$$(-k)(x^2+y^2)=-d/a$$.

As $$x^2+y^2$$ is always positive, multiplying with negative number $$(-k)$$ gives the LHS as negative. Thus, $$-d/a<0$$, implying $$d/a>0$$, and hence, $$a,d$$ have same sign.

Combining above two results, $$a,b,d$$ have the same sign.

Samy_A said:
It's not relevant to your solution, but why is it obvious that the real root is rational?

It might not be, if ##a##, ##b##, ##c## and/or ##d## are irrational.

Ray Vickson said:
It might not be, if ##a##, ##b##, ##c## and/or ##d## are irrational.
Thought so, thanks.

Related to If all 3 roots of ##az^3+bz^2+cz+d=0## have negative real part

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to have negative real roots?

Having negative real roots means that when the polynomial is set equal to zero, the solutions are all complex numbers with negative real parts. In other words, the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero are all complex numbers that have negative real components.

2. How many negative real roots can a polynomial have?

A polynomial of degree n can have at most n distinct real roots. Therefore, a polynomial with degree 3 can have at most 3 real roots, all of which can be negative.

3. Can a polynomial have only negative real roots?

Yes, a polynomial can have only negative real roots. For example, the polynomial x^3 - 2x^2 + x has 3 real roots, all of which are negative (-1, -1, -1).

4. What is the significance of a polynomial having all negative real roots?

A polynomial having all negative real roots means that the solutions to the polynomial are all complex numbers with negative real parts. This can have implications in various fields of mathematics, such as in stability analysis of systems or in finding the roots of a differential equation.

5. How can we determine if a polynomial has all negative real roots?

To determine if a polynomial has all negative real roots, we can use the Descartes' rule of signs or the intermediate value theorem. Descartes' rule of signs states that the number of positive real roots of a polynomial is equal to the number of sign changes in the coefficients or is less than that by an even number. If there are no sign changes, then there are no positive real roots, meaning all roots must be negative. The intermediate value theorem states that if a polynomial has a negative value at one point and a positive value at another point, then there must be at least one real root between those two points. Therefore, if we can find two points where the polynomial has different signs, then we know there must be a real root with a negative real part in between them.