Identifying the purpose of a circuit from the VHDL definition file

In summary, the conversation discusses the timing and functionality of a VHDL code, specifically how the system will respond to different inputs and priorities. The conversation also mentions a graph that shows the behavior of the code. Points of interest include the rollover of IQ to 128 or 256, depending on the number of bits, and the lag of Q behind IQ due to simultaneous execution of code. The purpose of the circuit is uncertain, with a possibility of being used for a reaction timer. However, there is confusion about the vector "D" and its definition.
Weaver
Homework Statement
Complete timing signal from VHDL and identify what the circuit is used for (see picture below)
Relevant Equations
N/A

I have attempted to sketch the timing and got the following graph

From reading the VHDL code my understanding is io each rising edge clock tick the system will carry out one of the following (choosing based on priority):
  1. reset if Clear_L is high
  2. load in a value if Clear_D is high
  3. UP count if Up is high
  4. Down count if nothing else
From this, I got this graph:

Points of interest are:
  • IQ rolls over to 128 when 0-1 happens (I believe that's how unsigned works in VHDL)
  • Q lags one behind IQ as with VHDL will simultaneous carry out all lexical blocks of code, meaning the check for UP will occur at the same time Q is assigned to IQ so it won't capture the changed value
But what the point of the circuit is, I am not sure. I guess it could be a for a reaction timer? But I'm really unsure. Especially as will rollover if left for too long and you can load a value in

EDIT: It would roll over to 256 not 128 in the graph as IQ is 8 bits, (I mistakenly read it as 7 bits)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the vector "D" defined somewhere? Sorry if I'm missing it.

Related to Identifying the purpose of a circuit from the VHDL definition file

What is a VHDL definition file?

A VHDL definition file is a text file that contains a description of a digital circuit in the VHDL (VHSIC Hardware Description Language) programming language. It is used to design and simulate digital circuits, and can also be used to synthesize circuits into physical hardware.

How do you identify the purpose of a circuit from a VHDL definition file?

To identify the purpose of a circuit from a VHDL definition file, you can look at the components, signals, and processes defined within the file. These will give you an idea of the inputs, outputs, and operations of the circuit.

What are the key components to look for in a VHDL definition file?

The key components to look for in a VHDL definition file are entity, architecture, signals, and processes. The entity defines the inputs and outputs of the circuit, the architecture specifies the behavior of the circuit, and the signals and processes define the internal operations of the circuit.

Can a VHDL definition file be used to simulate and synthesize a circuit?

Yes, a VHDL definition file can be used to both simulate and synthesize a circuit. The file contains all the necessary information for the circuit to be simulated and can also be used by synthesis tools to generate physical hardware.

How does identifying the purpose of a circuit from a VHDL definition file benefit the design process?

Identifying the purpose of a circuit from a VHDL definition file can benefit the design process by providing a clear understanding of the circuit's inputs, outputs, and operations. This can help with debugging, testing, and making design decisions. It also allows for easier modification and reuse of the circuit in future projects.