Identifying singularities of f and classifying them

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of simple poles and the singularities of a given function. The summary also mentions the method of partial fractions used to simplify the function and confirms that the given singularities are indeed simple poles.
SALAAH_BEDDIAF
Hi guys, just wanting to know if I'm doing this right. [tex] f(z) = \frac{z}{(z^2 + 4) (z^2+1/4)} [/tex]
Singularities of f(z) are when [tex] (z^2 + 4), (z^2 + 1/4) = 0 [/tex]

In this case, the singularities are [tex] \pm2i , \pm\frac{i}{2} [/tex]

Lets call these singularities [itex] s [/itex] and [itex] s [/itex] is a simple pole if [itex] \lim_{z \to s} \frac{z}{(z^2 + 4) (z^2+1/4)} [/itex] exists.

I got all these singularities to be simple poles, correct or incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple pole is a pole of order one which means it appears in the laurent expansion as [itex] (z-z_0)^{-1} [/itex]
For your functions:

[itex]
f(z)=\frac{z}{(z+2i)(z-2i)(z+\frac{i}{2})(z-\frac{i}{2})}=\frac{2}{15}[-\frac{1}{z+2i}-\frac{1}{z-2i}+\frac{1}{z+\frac{i}{2}}+\frac{1}{z-\frac{i}{2}}]
[/itex]

Where I have used the method of partial fractions.

Shyan said:
A simple pole is a pole of order one which means it appears in the laurent expansion as [itex] (z-z_0)^{-1} [/itex]
For your functions:

[itex]
f(z)=\frac{z}{(z+2i)(z-2i)(z+\frac{i}{2})(z-\frac{i}{2})}=\frac{2}{15}[-\frac{1}{z+2i}-\frac{1}{z-2i}+\frac{1}{z+\frac{i}{2}}+\frac{1}{z-\frac{i}{2}}]
[/itex]

Where I have used the method of partial fractions.

Thanks, but on my course we don't use any sort of expansions so I'm having difficulty understanding what the expansion actually tells me, I just wanted to know if those singularities I have are just simple poles or poles of higher order.

Your definition of a simple pole is incorrect. A pole s of f(z) called removable if
[tex] \lim_{z \to s} f(z) [/tex]
exists, and it is a simple pole if
[tex] \lim_{x\to s} (z-s) f(z) [/tex]
exists and is not equal to zero (if it was zero then you would have a removable singularity).

You can easily check by just canceling the numerator and denominator of the simple pole limit that the poles you have are simple

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your calculations without seeing your work. However, the general approach of identifying and classifying singularities is correct. It is important to note that in this case, the singularities are not just simple poles, but also include a double pole at z=0. This is because the denominator can be factored as (z+2i)(z-2i)(z+1/2i)(z-1/2i), indicating a double pole at z=0.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the behavior of the function near the singularities. For example, at z=0, the function approaches infinity, indicating a removable singularity. At z=2i and z=1/2i, the function approaches a finite value, indicating simple poles. At z=-2i and z=-1/2i, the function approaches negative infinity, indicating essential singularities.

In summary, while your approach is generally correct, it is important to also consider the behavior of the function near the singularities in order to fully classify them.

Related to Identifying singularities of f and classifying them

1. What is the definition of a singularity in mathematics?

A singularity in mathematics refers to a point in a function where it is undefined or where the function becomes infinite. It is a point where the function exhibits behavior that is different from the rest of the function's domain.

2. How do you identify singularities in a function?

To identify singularities in a function, you can look for points where the function is undefined, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. You can also use the limit definition of a singularity, which states that a function has a singularity at a point if its limit at that point is either infinite or does not exist.

3. What are the different types of singularities?

There are three main types of singularities: removable, essential, and poles. A removable singularity is a point where the function is undefined but can be "filled in" to make the function continuous. An essential singularity is a point where the function oscillates infinitely as it approaches the singularity. A pole is a point where the function becomes infinite.

4. How do you classify singularities?

Singularities can be classified based on their behavior near the singularity. Removable singularities are usually classified as "removable" or "non-essential." Essential singularities are classified as "essential." Poles are classified based on the order of the singularity, which is determined by the highest power of the denominator in the function.

5. Why is it important to identify and classify singularities?

Identifying and classifying singularities is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its domain. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of series and integrals involving the function. In addition, it allows us to use techniques such as partial fraction decomposition to simplify and solve complex functions.