Identifying resonant frequencies in various objects

In summary, James is seeking help with a project involving playing tones through a speaker system at a fridge and detecting which tones make the fridge resonate. He has been using a flat microphone but is looking for a more sensitive way to measure the vibrations in the fridge and display them on an oscilloscope. An accelerometer attached to the fridge is suggested as a solution, and James mentions an experience with building a sensitive microphone in the past.
Fred Austere
Hi

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me with a project I have at the moment.

Here is the scenario;

I am playing various tones through a speaker system at a fridge and I need to be able to detect which of the tones make the fridge resonate.

I have been using a flat microphone taped to the fridge but that seems to be showing me nothing more than its own best frequency response.

What would be a more sensitive/suitable way to measure the vibrations in the fridge.

I would like to display the measurement signal on an oscilloscope

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
An accelerometer attached to the fridge will pick-up the vibrations while being quite insensitive to the sound waves coming though the air.

Thank you, that sounds good.

Any particular one you think would be good? Can they be outputted to an oscilloscope.

James

When I was a teenager, I built an incredibly sensitive microphone that picked up vibrations from a surface without being affected by sound in the air. (It was really good at picking up conversations in the next room!)

All it was, was a piece of graphite rod extracted from a dry cell balanced on a pivot slightly off centre so that one end rested on another piece of graphite rod.

Very slight movements of the rods caused pressure changes at the contact points giving a change in conduction. A simple battery supply and a pair of headphones (no amplification) were all it took to make it work.

Hello James,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking advice on your project. Identifying resonant frequencies in various objects can be a challenging task, but there are different methods and equipment that can help you achieve accurate results.

One option could be to use a contact microphone instead of a flat microphone taped to the fridge. This type of microphone is designed to capture vibrations from solid surfaces and can provide more sensitive and accurate measurements. You can attach the contact microphone to the fridge using a small piece of putty or adhesive.

Another option could be to use a laser vibrometer, which is a non-contact device that measures vibrations by detecting changes in the laser beam reflected off the object. This can also provide precise measurements of resonant frequencies.

In terms of displaying the measurement signal on an oscilloscope, you can connect the output of the microphone or vibrometer to the oscilloscope and adjust the settings to display the vibrations as a waveform. This will allow you to visualize the resonant frequencies and their amplitudes.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Best,

Related to Identifying resonant frequencies in various objects

What is meant by identifying resonant frequencies in various objects?

Identifying resonant frequencies in various objects refers to the process of determining the specific frequencies at which an object will vibrate most strongly and sustainably. This is also known as the natural frequency of the object.

Why is it important to identify resonant frequencies in objects?

Identifying resonant frequencies is important because it allows us to understand how an object will respond to certain frequencies of external forces, such as sound waves. This information can be useful in designing structures or avoiding potential damage to objects.

What factors can affect an object's resonant frequency?

An object's resonant frequency can be influenced by various factors such as its size, shape, material, and the presence of any external forces. These factors can alter the object's natural frequency and potentially change its response to external vibrations.

How can we measure an object's resonant frequency?

There are several methods for measuring an object's resonant frequency, including using a frequency meter, a strobe light, or by analyzing the object's frequency response in a vibration test. These methods can provide accurate and reliable measurements of an object's resonant frequency.

What are the practical applications of identifying resonant frequencies in objects?

Identifying resonant frequencies has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and music. It can help in designing structures that can withstand external vibrations and in creating musical instruments with specific desired frequencies. It can also be used in detecting flaws or damage in objects by analyzing changes in their resonant frequencies.