Identifying Metal from Photoelectric Effect Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses a photoelectric effect experiment where 200.0 nm light is applied to a metal surface, resulting in the release of electrons. A minimum 1.90V opposing electric potential is required to prevent the electrons from striking the collection electrode. Using the given photoelectric work functions, the identity of the metal can be determined by finding the work function that matches the calculated value of opposing electric potential. The correct value for Planck's constant is 6.66252E-34 J/s, not 6.66252E-33 J/s.

What do you think the answer is?

• Iron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nickel

• Magnesium

• Potassium

• Aluminum

• Zinc

• Platinum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sammiekurr

Homework Statement

In a photoelectric effect experiment, 200.0 nm light was applied to a metal surface causing release of electrons. It was determined that a minimum 1.90V opposing electric potential was required to prevent the released electrons from striking the collection electrode. Based on the following photoelectric work functions (ionization energies, Ei, required for photoelectron release), the identity of the metal was _____.

Iron 7.21x10-19 J
Nickel 8.03x10-19 J
Magnesium 5.90x10-19 J
Potassium 3.69x10-19 J
Aluminum 6.54x10-19 J
Zinc 6.89x10-19 J
Platinum 1.02x10-18 J

Homework Equations

Kmax = h * v - ∅ [maximum kinetic energy = Planck's constant*frequency - work function]
v = c/λ [frequency = speed of light / wavelength]
E = h * v [radiant energy = Planck's constant*frequency]
h * v = eV + ∅ [Planck's constant * frequency = opposing electrostatic potential energy + work function] [eV = electron charge * required retarding voltage]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this problem a dozen times. My professor has given no examples anything like this and there are no similar problems in the textbook or online, so I am completely lost. I don't even know how much of this is relevant
I've calculated that:
v=c/λ=3.00E8/200E-9=1.5E15
E=hv=(6.66252E-33)(1.5E15)=9.99378E-18
Kmax=3.0438E-19J = (6.66252E-33)(1.5E15)-∅ so ∅=9.6894E-18
I keep coming back to ∅=9.6894E-18 but that's not an answer choice and I don't know what I'm missing. We didn't go over any of this in class.

Physics news on Phys.org

You calculated the photon energy with wrong h. It is h=6.66252E-34 J/s. Correct it, subtract eV and compare the result with the work functions in the table.

ehild

Related to Identifying Metal from Photoelectric Effect Experiments

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when light of a certain frequency, or energy, is shone onto it. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the purpose of identifying metals from photoelectric effect experiments?

The purpose of identifying metals from photoelectric effect experiments is to understand the properties of different types of metals and their behavior under specific conditions. This information can be useful in various fields including material science, electronics, and energy production.

How do you identify a metal from a photoelectric effect experiment?

To identify a metal from a photoelectric effect experiment, you need to measure the energy of the emitted electrons and compare it to the known values for different types of metals. The energy of the electrons can be calculated using the equation E = hf - Φ, where E is the energy of the electron, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, and Φ is the work function of the metal.

What factors can affect the photoelectric effect in metals?

The photoelectric effect in metals can be affected by several factors, including the intensity and frequency of the incident light, the type of metal being used, and the surface conditions of the metal. Changes in these factors can result in variations in the energy and number of emitted electrons.

How is the photoelectric effect experiment used in real-world applications?

The photoelectric effect experiment has many real-world applications, including solar panels, photocells, and photoelectric sensors. It is also used in technologies such as photocopiers, digital cameras, and night vision devices. Understanding the photoelectric effect is crucial in the development of these technologies and the advancement of renewable energy sources.