Identify all linear transformations from C2 to C3

In summary, In the previous problem, the task was to determine if a polynomial, specifically f(x)=2x, was a linear transformation. A similar process was followed in this case, checking if T(ax + by) = T(ax) + T(by). For problem (A), it was found that T1 is not a linear transformation. In part (D), the matrix Tx was given and it was determined that it is a linear transformation, taking into account the complex variables present. It was also noted that i-i simplifies to 0.
jinksys

Homework Statement

WjnxU.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the previous problem I was asked to identify if a polynomial, such as f(x)=2x was a linear transformation. In that case I checked to see if f(ax + by) = f(ax) + f(by). I figure I would be doing something similar in this case.

I would check to see if T(ax + by) = T(ax) + T(by).

So for problem (A) would I do something like:

5zU9J.jpg

and since T(ax + by) ≠ T(ax) + T(by), T1 is not a linear transformation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, T1 is not a linear transformation, and your argument is correct/valid.

Thanks!

I have a question about part (D), which is

[tex]

Tx =
\left[ {\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
2-i & 3i \\
i-i & 4\\
\end{array} } \right]x
[/tex]

I assume I use the same procedure? Is anything special I need to do in regards to the complex variables?

I find that it IS a linear transformation, is that correct? Also, isn't i-i just 0?

Related to Identify all linear transformations from C2 to C3

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the original space. In other words, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector in a way that maintains the properties of the original vector space, such as linearity and scaling.

2. What does it mean to identify all linear transformations from C2 to C3?

Identifying all linear transformations from C2 to C3 means finding all possible mathematical functions that map a vector in a 2-dimensional complex vector space (C2) to a vector in a 3-dimensional complex vector space (C3) while preserving the basic structure of the original space.

3. How do you determine the number of linear transformations from C2 to C3?

The number of linear transformations from C2 to C3 can be determined by finding the dimensions of the two vector spaces. Since C2 and C3 have dimensions of 2 and 3 respectively, the total number of linear transformations from C2 to C3 is equal to 3^2 = 9.

4. Can you give an example of a linear transformation from C2 to C3?

One example of a linear transformation from C2 to C3 is the function T: C2 → C3, where T(z1, z2) = (z1, z2, 0). This function takes in a vector in C2 and outputs a vector in C3 where the third component is always 0, thus preserving the structure of the original space.

5. Are there any limitations to finding all linear transformations from C2 to C3?

Yes, there are limitations to finding all linear transformations from C2 to C3. Since both vector spaces are infinite, it is impossible to list out all possible linear transformations. However, we can use mathematical techniques and properties to determine the general form of these transformations.