Ideals of the Gaussian integers

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from an exam given by Michael Artin, involving a homomorphism from Z[x] to Z[i] and its implications on the ideals of Z[i]. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and discussing the difficulty in finding a proof. It also discusses the possibility of simplifying the problem and removing elements from the ideal's generating set. The conclusion is that the ideal generated by x^2 + 1 and x+1 is not principal and does not contain x, but its implications on the ideals of Z[i] are still unclear.
murmillo
I'm working on an exam that Michael Artin once gave, where one of the questions is basically,

Consider the homomorphism from Z[x] to Z given by x --> i. What does this homomorphism tell you about the ideals of Z?

So far I haven't come up with anything. I know in advance that the ideals of the Gaussian integers are principal, but I don't see how I can prove that just by looking at the given homomorphism. I know that there is a bijective correspondence between ideals of Z[x] containing x^2 + 1 and ideals of Z, but I'm stuck. For example, if I look at the ideal generated by x^2 + 1 and x+1, how do I know whether this is a proper ideal or not? If it is proper, then I know that the ideal generated by i + 1 is a proper ideal of Z. But I don't know how to tell whether or not the ideal generated by x^2 + 1 and x+1 is proper. Do you guys think I'm going about this problem the right way? I've spent like half an hour thinking about it and am not making good progess.

Physics news on Phys.org
murmillo said:
But I don't know how to tell whether or not the ideal generated by x^2 + 1 and x+1 is proper.
Well, it consists of all elements of the form [tex]r(x^2+1)+s(x+1)[/tex] with r,s ring elements. So it cannot contain, e.g., the element x.

Landau said:
Well, it consists of all elements of the form [tex]r(x^2+1)+s(x+1)[/tex] with r,s ring elements. So it cannot contain, e.g., the element x.
While true, that conclusion is certainly not immediate.

murmillo said:
But I don't know how to tell whether or not the ideal generated by x^2 + 1 and x+1 is proper.
Have you tried simplifying?

e.g. the ideal <x-3, 2x+5> is equal to the ideal <x-3, 11>.

I often find questions about ideals are easier to solve by looking at the quotient rings.

Yes, I've tried simplifying, but it might be difficult to do in general. I see that if I multiply x by x+1 and subtract x^2 + 1 I get x-1, then I can add it to x+1 to get 2x, then I can multiply 2 by x+1 and subtract 2x to get 2, but I don't know if it's possible to get 1 in the ideal. I also tried with x+n instead of x+1 but haven't had success. Something tells me I might be going about this problem the wrong way.

murmillo said:
Yes, I've tried simplifying, but it might be difficult to do in general. I see that if I multiply x by x+1 and subtract x^2 + 1 I get x-1, then I can add it to x+1 to get 2x, then I can multiply 2 by x+1 and subtract 2x to get 2
So <x^2 + 1, x+1> = <x^2 + 1, x+1, x-1, 2>. You said you haven't had much luck finding interesting new elements to add to the list of generators. Can you remove any, to get a simpler generating set?

Well I can get <x^2 + 1, x+1, x-1, 2> = <x^2 + 1, x-1, 2> = <x-1, 2>. This ideal can't be principal because x-1 is irreducible. Here it seems that I can't get x in this ideal, because everything generated by 2 is divisible by 2, and I'd have to multiply x-1 by something divisible by 2 if I'm to get a linear combination that cancels out terms with x's, but that would leave me with something divisible by 2. But I'm not sure what that tells me about the corresponding ideal in Z.

Related to Ideals of the Gaussian integers

1. What are Gaussian integers?

Gaussian integers are complex numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are both integers and i is the imaginary unit. They are named after Carl Friedrich Gauss, a mathematician who studied them extensively.

2. What are the properties of Gaussian integers?

The Gaussian integers have several interesting properties, including being closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication. They also form a unique factorization domain, meaning that every Gaussian integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime Gaussian integers.

3. How are Gaussian integers related to the Gaussian prime numbers?

Gaussian prime numbers are a subset of Gaussian integers that have the property of being prime in the Gaussian integers. In other words, they cannot be factored into smaller Gaussian integers. The Gaussian prime numbers play a role in the unique factorization of Gaussian integers.

4. What is the significance of Gaussian integers in number theory?

Gaussian integers are important in number theory because they provide a way to extend the concept of prime numbers to complex numbers. They also have applications in algebraic number theory, as they are a type of algebraic number.

5. How are Gaussian integers used in cryptography?

Gaussian integers have been used in some cryptographic algorithms, such as the Gaussian integer-based public key cryptosystem. This is because they have properties that make them useful in encryption and decryption processes, such as their unique factorization and closed operations under addition and multiplication.