Ideal gas law, concentrations, mole fractions

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the mole fraction and mass fraction of chloroform in different substances and comparing exposure through inhalation and ingestion. The individual is having trouble with part a of the problem and is seeking guidance. The equation PV = nRT is used in the attempt at a solution, but the individual is unsure about what value to use for pressure. The expert advises using the mole fraction formula nsubstance/ntotal, and suggests using Avogadro's law to calculate the number of moles of chloroform in a given volume of air.
SaRaH...
I haven't been able to try all parts of this question yet as I've been running into problems fairly near the start. I've asked for help with it but have just been told 'use the ideal gas law' which is what I tried to do but can't seem to get it right. We have been given answers to parts a, b and c but as of yet I haven't managed to work out the solutions to them. Any guidance would be a great help.

1. Problem statement

a) In an industrial estate, the median indoor airborne concentration of chloroform (CHCL_3) was found to be 0.4 micrograms/m^3. Convert this concentration to a mole fraction in parts per billion (ppb) assuming a temperature of 20 degrees C and atmospheric pressure.

b) The same study estimated that the measured mean concentration of chloroform in drinking water was 42 micrograms/m^3. Convert this to a mass fraction in ppb.

c) A typical adult might inhale about 20m^3 of air and ingests about 2 litres of water per day. On the basis of the measured concentrations, compare the exposure to chloroform via inhalation (micrograms/day) with the exposure via ingestion (i.e. drinking).

d) For tetrachloroethylene (C_2Cl_4), the study reported a mean concentration in indoor air of 2.1 micrograms/m^3. Determine the relative exposure for this compound as in part c.

e) Comment on the relative significance of each of the exposure pathways for the different compounds.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

This is for part a)

The mole fraction, as far as I'm aware, is V/n so I rearranged the equation as:
V/n = RT/P

Substituting the given values in, I got:
V/n = 0.08205(20 + 293.15)/P

What exactly the P is I wasn't sure. Using P = 1atm didn't give the required answer. I thought that maybe we should use a partial pressure (ppb = P_i/P_total) but had too many unknowns. I looked up ways that a concentration could be converted to a mole fraction but none on these involved a temperature or pressure and didn't give the right answer either. Is there something really obvious that I'm missing? Or am I going about this completely the wrong way?

Any help would be fantastic,
Sarah

Physics news on Phys.org
SaRaH... said:
The mole fraction, as far as I'm aware, is V/n

No, it is nsubstance/ntotal. Take 1 cubic meter of air, calculate number of moles of all gases present (hint: you don't have to treat them separately, Avogadro's law), calculate number of moles of chloroform (hint: what is mass of chloroform in this cubic meter of air), divide, express as ppb.

Related to Ideal gas law, concentrations, mole fractions

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law, also known as the general gas equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases. It states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are directly proportional to each other, and is represented by the formula PV = nRT. This law is used to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions, and is commonly used in chemistry and physics experiments.

2. How is concentration measured and what is its significance?

Concentration is a measure of the amount of a substance present in a given volume or mass of a solution. It is typically expressed in units of moles per liter (mol/L). Concentration is significant because it helps determine the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction, and is crucial in determining the properties and behavior of solutions.

3. What is a mole fraction and how is it calculated?

A mole fraction is a unitless quantity that represents the ratio of the number of moles of a particular substance to the total number of moles in a solution. It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of the substance by the total number of moles in the solution. Mole fractions are commonly used in chemistry to express the composition of mixtures.

4. How do temperature and pressure affect the behavior of ideal gases?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature and pressure have a direct relationship with each other. As the temperature of an ideal gas increases, the pressure also increases, assuming the volume and amount of gas are kept constant. Additionally, increasing the pressure on a gas will cause its temperature to increase, assuming the volume and amount of gas are kept constant. These relationships are important in understanding the behavior of gases in various conditions.

5. How can the ideal gas law be used to solve gas law problems?

The ideal gas law can be used to solve various gas law problems by rearranging the formula to solve for the desired variable. For example, if the volume and amount of gas are known, the ideal gas law can be rearranged to solve for the pressure or temperature. Similarly, if the pressure and temperature are known, the ideal gas law can be rearranged to find the volume or amount of gas. This law is a powerful tool for solving problems involving gases and is commonly used in chemistry and physics calculations.