Ideal Gas Law and a helium tank

So you would use P1V1 = P2V2, with P1 = 250kPa, V1 = 0.1m^3, and P2 = 150kPa. In summary, using the ideal gas law and the given information, a steel tank containing helium at 250kPa and 300K can produce a balloon with a volume of 0.167m^3 when the pressure drops to 150kPa.
gabriel5

Homework Statement

Helium in a steel tank is at 250kPa, 300K with a volume of .1m^3. It is used to fill a balloon. When the pressure drops to 150kPa, the flow of helium stops by itself. If all the helium is still at 300k, how big balloon is produced?

Homework Equations

I used the ideal gas law PV=mRT

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was that i solved for the mass which i got was .04012 and then i used that mass in the ideal gas law with the new pressure of 150kPa to get a new volume of .167 m^3 is this the right approach and answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fine approach, but be sure to answer the precise question asked: How big is the balloon?

Rather than calculate the mass, since it's constant, you could have just used:
P1V1 = P2V2.

By asking how big the balloon is doesn't it mean give the volume or what do you think i should put down?

You want the volume of the balloon, not the total volume.

Related to Ideal Gas Law and a helium tank

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a closed system. It is typically written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

2. How does the Ideal Gas Law apply to a helium tank?

In a helium tank, the Ideal Gas Law can be used to determine how changes in pressure, volume, and temperature affect the amount of helium gas inside the tank. For example, if the temperature of the tank increases, the pressure inside the tank will also increase, causing the volume of the gas to expand. This can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law.

3. What is the gas constant in the Ideal Gas Law?

The gas constant (R) in the Ideal Gas Law is a proportionality constant that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a system. Its value is approximately 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K, and it can also be expressed in other units such as joules per mole per Kelvin (J/mol·K).

4. Can the Ideal Gas Law be applied to all gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is a simplified model that can be used to describe the behavior of most ideal gases under certain conditions. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of real gases, especially at high pressures or low temperatures. Therefore, it is important to note that the Ideal Gas Law is not applicable to all gases.

5. How can the Ideal Gas Law be used to predict the behavior of a helium tank?

The Ideal Gas Law can be used to calculate the amount of helium gas in a tank, as well as how changes in pressure, volume, and temperature will affect the amount of gas. It can also be used to determine the maximum amount of helium that can be stored in a tank, as this will depend on the pressure and volume of the tank. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law can be used to compare the behavior of different gases in similar conditions, such as comparing the behavior of helium and oxygen in a tank.