Ideal 2-D Gas and Micro-Canonical Ensemble

In summary, the conversation discusses using micro-canonical ensemble to analyze an ideal gas in a two-dimensional world. The goal is to find the equation of state and energy as a function of temperature, as well as modifying the equation to create a "van der Waal"-like equation. The energy of the van der Waal gas is also computed, assuming a constant heat capacity at constant area. The conversation also discusses the differences between micro-canonical, canonical, and grand canonical ensembles, and how the 2-D nature of the system will affect the density of states and volume.
Fourier mn

Homework Statement

1.a. analyze an ideal gas in a two dimensional world using micro-canonical ensemble. Specifically, find the equation of state (surface tension and area will replace pressure and volume) and also the energy as a function of temperature. b. modify the equation to create a “van der Waal” – like equation for this two dimensional gas. c. compute the energy of this van der waal gas (assume a constant heat capacity at constant area).

Homework Equations

I know the obvious eqns for an ideal gas, but I don't know how to start this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

First, how can I apply micro-canonical ensemble to a gas with N particles, I thought that it should be canonical ensemble to a system with this order of magnitude? Second, what do they mean by a "in a 2-D world," besides the obvious that its 2-D, what kind of a system is it? Any suggestions on how to start the problem would be most welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fourier mn said:
... how can I apply micro-canonical ensemble to a gas with N particles, I thought that it should be canonical ensemble to a system with this order of magnitude?
What order of magnitude are you talking about? AFAIR, the three ensebles considered in stat mech were:
1) micro-canonical: the easiest, defined as constant N, V, and E
2) canonical: more realistic version of mechanically contained ensemble, defined as constant N, but E (and V?) can vary
3) grand canonical: most general in the sense that N can also vary

I don't see any inconsistency in stating that the system is a micro-canonical ensemble; just think of it as a gas in a perfectly insulted, rigid container with no leaks.

Fourier mn said:
... what do they mean by a "in a 2-D world," ...
This will effect the density of states (and, of course, the meaning of volume).

Related to Ideal 2-D Gas and Micro-Canonical Ensemble

1. What is an ideal 2-D gas?

An ideal 2-D gas is a theoretical model used in statistical mechanics to describe a system of non-interacting particles confined to a two-dimensional space. It is an approximation of real gases that allows for easier calculation and understanding of thermodynamic properties.

2. What is the micro-canonical ensemble?

The micro-canonical ensemble is a statistical ensemble used in statistical mechanics to describe a closed system in which the total energy, volume, and number of particles are fixed. This ensemble is useful for studying systems with a constant energy, such as an ideal gas in a closed container.

3. What are the assumptions of an ideal 2-D gas?

The assumptions of an ideal 2-D gas include: 1) the gas particles are non-interacting, 2) the gas particles have negligible size, 3) the collisions between particles and the container walls are elastic, and 4) the particles move in a two-dimensional plane.

4. What is the significance of the micro-canonical ensemble in understanding ideal 2-D gases?

The micro-canonical ensemble allows for the study of a closed system with a fixed energy, which is essential for understanding ideal 2-D gases. It allows for the calculation of important thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, pressure, and entropy, which can help explain the behavior of an ideal 2-D gas.

5. How is the micro-canonical ensemble related to other statistical ensembles?

The micro-canonical ensemble is one of the three main statistical ensembles used in statistical mechanics, along with the canonical and grand canonical ensembles. Each ensemble describes a different type of system, but they are all related through the principle of equal a priori probabilities, which states that all microstates (possible configurations) of a system are equally probable.