IalChange of variables/verifying solution

In summary, the conversation discussed using change of variables to simplify the Schrodinger equation and a possible mistake in the substitution process. The correct form for the second derivative term is (d/dx)^2, and after correcting this, it was confirmed that (x^2)e^(-x^2) is a solution to the equation.
kwagz

Homework Statement

Trying to use change of variables to simplify the schrodinger equation. I'm clearly going wrong somewhere, but can't see where.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Radial Schrodinger:

-((hbar)2)/2M * [(1/r)(rψ)'' - l(l+1)/(r^2) ψ] - α(hbar)c/r ψ = Eψ

The Attempt at a Solution

We're first told to replace rψ(r) with U(r/a). For this I got the following:

-((hbar)2)/2M * [(1/r)(d/dr)2(U(r/a)) - l(l+1)/(r3) *U(r/a)] - α(hbar)c/r2 *U(r/a) = (E/r)*U(r/a)

The next step is to use x=r/a to change variables to x. a=hbar/α*M*c This leads me to:

-((hbar)2)/2M * [(1/xa)(d/dxa)2(U(x)) - l(l+1)/(xa)3) *U(x)] - α(hbar)c/(x*a2) *U(x) = (E/xa)*U(x)

Then we replace E by ε=-2E/(α2 *M*c2). This gives the final form (after some simplifying):

(d/d(ax))2)U(x)=U(x)(ε/a2 + l(l+1)/(xa)2 -2/x*a2)Then we're to check that (x2)*e(-(x2)) is a solution to the equation.

Plugging that in gives

(d/d(ax))2)(x2)*e-(x2)=(x2)*e-(x2)(ε/a2 + l(l+1)/(xa)2 -2/x*a2)

After taking the second derivative (which I got as (x4 -5x2 +2)*e-(x2))/a2), I ended up with:

e-(x2)(x4 -5x2+2)=e-(x2)(εx2 + l(l+1) -2x)

I'm pretty sure this means I went wrong somewhere, as I think I should have an equivalent expression on the left and right. If anyone can see where I might have made a mistake, it'd be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org

After reviewing your attempt at the solution, I believe the mistake lies in your substitution of x=r/a. When you make this substitution, you should also change the differential operator d/dr to d/dx, which will change the second derivative term in your final equation. The correct form should be:

(d/dx)^2 U(x) = U(x)(ε/a^2 + l(l+1)/x^2 - 2/ax^2)

After making this correction, you should get the following expression for the second derivative:

(d/dx)^2 (x^2 e^(-x^2)) = (x^2 e^(-x^2))(ε/a^2 + l(l+1)/x^2 - 2/ax^2)

When you simplify this expression, you should get an equivalent expression on the left and right, confirming that (x^2)e^(-x^2) is indeed a solution to the Schrodinger equation. I hope this helps!

Related to IalChange of variables/verifying solution

1. What is a change of variables in the context of a mathematical equation?

A change of variables is a process of substituting one set of variables with a different set of variables in a mathematical equation. This is often done to simplify the equation or make it easier to solve.

2. How do I know if a given change of variables is valid?

To verify if a change of variables is valid, you need to check if the new set of variables satisfies the conditions of the equation. This can be done by substituting the new variables into the equation and checking if it holds true.

3. Can any equation be solved using a change of variables?

No, not all equations can be solved using a change of variables. It depends on the structure and complexity of the equation. Some equations may become more complicated or unsolvable after a change of variables is applied.

4. What are the benefits of using a change of variables in solving equations?

A change of variables can often simplify an equation and make it easier to solve. It can also help to identify patterns or relationships between different variables, which can provide insights and understanding of the solution.

5. Is there a specific method for choosing the right change of variables?

The choice of change of variables depends on the equation and the desired outcome. Some common methods include using trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, or making substitutions based on known relationships between variables. It is important to carefully consider the equation and the desired result when choosing a change of variables.