I would like to get a confirmation about this one

• Thread starter fara0815
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a spring attached to a box and the calculation of its compression through impact. The conversation includes different equations and methods used to solve the problem and ultimately concludes that the answer given by the professor of 0.1 m is correct. The key to the solution is finding the equilibrium point of the spring and considering the conservation of energy.
fara0815
Hello!

I think I solved the following problem but the answer (given by my professor) does not match with mine. Therefore, I would be happy if someone could confirm me that he is wrong ;)

There is a spring attached to a box of 200 gr. mass. The box is lifted up so that the lower end of the spring is 30 cm above the ground. Suddenly, the box is falling down to the ground. What is the spring's compression through the impact (s) ?
The spring's constant (k) is 156,96 N/m.

I went this way:

Duration of the fall:
h= 0.3 m
[tex] t= \sprt{\frac{2*h}{g}} = 0.247 s [/tex]

with the duration I get the final speed of the box:

[tex] v= gt = 2,43 \frac{m}{s} [/tex]

My thougt it that the potential energy of the spring has to be the amount of the kinetec energy and the potential energy before the impact:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mV^2+mgh = \frac{1}{2}ks^s [/tex]

this equation gives me the compression (s) :

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{mV^2+2mgh}{k}}= 0.1225 m [/tex]

The answer given by my professor is 0,1 m.

Do you think he made a mistake as well ?

Thanks ! fara

Physics news on Phys.org
fara0815 said:
I went this way:

Duration of the fall:
h= 0.3 m

Nothing wrong with this. This is the speed of the box at the instant the spring just touches ground.

My thougt it that the potential energy of the spring has to be the amount of the kinetec energy and the potential energy before the impact:
Good!
How does "h" relate to "s"? (The h here is not .3 m!)

You are mixing up this "h" with the previous height of .3 m, I bet.

An easier method is use conservation of energy right from the start. Hint: What is the change in height of the box as it drops to its lowest point?

The professor's answer is correct, by the way. :wink:

Last edited:
fara0815 said:
There is a spring attached to a box of 200 gr. mass. The box is lifted up so that the lower end of the spring is 30 cm above the ground. Suddenly, the box is falling down to the ground. What is the spring's compression through the impact (s) ?
The spring's constant (k) is 156,96 N/m.

I went this way:

Duration of the fall:
h= 0.3 m

The answer given by my professor is 0,1 m.
You have to assume a massless spring.

Find the equilibrium point of the spring (where compression force = gravity: mg = kx). Any compression beyond that point is due to the energy from the fall.

So:

[tex]mg = kx_{eq}[/tex]

[tex] E = mg(h - (l - x_{eq}))[/tex] where l is the length of the spring and h is the height of the box (h-l = 30 cm).

equate that to the spring energy at maximum compression (ie compression beyond [itex]x_{eq}[/tex]):

[tex] E = \frac{1}{2}kx_{max}^2[/tex]

and solve for [itex]x_{max}[/itex]
AM

Last edited:
Thank you very much guys!
It is so logical if you think about it. The box does not go all the way to the ground, it will remain a certain distance from the ground. So it is important for a equilibrium that both energies are exactly the same. I learned a lot with this one!

[tex] mg(h-s)=\frac{1}{2}ks^2 [/tex] that leads me to
[tex] 0 = s^2 + \frac{2mgs}{k}-\frac{2mgh}{k} \rightarrow \\
s= - \frac{mg}{k} + \sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}^2+\frac{mgh}{k}}= 0.0125 m + 0.0875 m = 0.1 m
[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to I would like to get a confirmation about this one

1. What does "confirmation" mean in this context?

"Confirmation" in this context refers to receiving validation or proof that the statement or information in question is accurate or true.

2. How can I confirm something?

There are several ways to confirm something, including conducting experiments, collecting data, consulting reliable sources, and seeking expert opinions. It is important to use multiple methods of confirmation to ensure accuracy.

3. Why is confirmation important in science?

Confirmation is crucial in science because it helps to establish the validity and reliability of scientific claims and theories. By confirming information through rigorous experimentation and data analysis, scientists can ensure the accuracy and credibility of their findings.

4. What happens if I don't get confirmation for my hypothesis?

If you are unable to obtain confirmation for your hypothesis, it may indicate that there are flaws in your experimental design or that your initial assumptions were incorrect. This is a normal part of the scientific process, and it may lead to new discoveries or revisions to your hypothesis.

5. Can confirmation ever be considered absolute?

No, confirmation in science can never be considered absolute. This is because new evidence or advancements in technology may challenge or change previously accepted information. Therefore, it is important for scientists to continually seek confirmation and remain open to new information.