I-V graph of Diode using a C.R.O.

In summary, the V-I graph for a diode in most physics textbooks is shown as a downward sloping line. However, during an experiment with a 1N4001 diode and 12V-AC, the graph appeared to have been reflected along the y-axis. The reason for this is not clear, but it may be due to the x-axis representing voltage in the opposite direction on a Cathode Ray Oscilloscope (CRO). A CRO is a device used for displaying and analyzing electrical signals.
cloudone

Homework Statement

In all physics textbooks, the V-I graph for diode appears like the followings
http://211.233.39.205/phpBB2/forum_img/diode/diode-14.gif
However, when I conducted the experiment with a 1N4001 diode and 12V-AC, similar graph was found, the the graph seemed to have reflected along the y-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry people, but I have no idea why it is this way. Since the x-axis should represent the voltage supplied.

What I'm thinking is that the x-axis is in the opposite direction on a C.R.O., which means more positive towards the left and more negative towards the right. Is that how a CRO works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's a CRO? We'll need some more information about your test setup how are you collecting and plotting your data. 1N4001 is a simple diode, there's nothing special about it.

CRO=Cathode Ray Oscilloscope

Sounds like he was trying to make a circuit to emulate a curve tracer with his oscilloscope.

Not to scale, this is what he should have seen...

1657213834178.png

http://forembed.com/project-curve-tracer-requirements.html
\

tech99 said:
CRO=Cathode Ray Oscilloscope
LOL. I thought I was the only guy left on the planet with those. I have about 6 of them. If y'all are anywhere near Palo Alto, I'll give you one! Not kidding, I'm thinking about a local PF give away to clean up some of my unused stuff.

I have a Heathkit one which I use for everything. I could not open the graph sent in #1. Maybe it is displaying V and I on the other axes.

DaveE said:
LOL. I thought I was the only guy left on the planet with those. I have about 6 of them. If y'all are anywhere near Palo Alto, I'll give you one! Not kidding, I'm thinking about a local PF give away to clean up some of my unused stuff.
What about international? :P

Related to I-V graph of Diode using a C.R.O.

What is a C.R.O. and how is it used in diode I-V graph analysis?

A C.R.O. (cathode ray oscilloscope) is a device that displays electrical signals as a waveform on a screen. It is used to measure and analyze the voltage and current characteristics of a diode in an I-V graph.

What is the significance of the shape of a diode's I-V graph?

The shape of a diode's I-V graph is determined by its non-linear current-voltage relationship. It shows that the diode has a low resistance in the forward direction and a high resistance in the reverse direction, making it suitable for use as a rectifier.

How is a diode's forward bias region determined on an I-V graph?

The forward bias region of a diode can be determined on an I-V graph by finding the point where the current begins to increase rapidly with a small increase in voltage. This is known as the "knee" of the curve and is typically around 0.7V for silicon diodes.

What does the slope of a diode's I-V graph represent?

The slope of a diode's I-V graph represents the resistance of the diode. In the forward bias region, the slope is relatively flat, indicating a low resistance. In the reverse bias region, the slope is steeper, indicating a higher resistance.

How can a diode's breakdown voltage be determined from its I-V graph?

The breakdown voltage of a diode can be determined from its I-V graph by finding the point where the voltage increases rapidly with a small increase in current in the reverse bias region. This is known as the "reverse breakdown" and is a critical parameter in diode selection for different applications.